Wednesday, September 10, 2003

(ACTUAL DATE THIS WAS WRITTEN: 8/28/03)

I need to learn chess. I walked through several little downtown parks and it is evident that a game of chess can lead to conversation. What an incredible way of learning about people in this area! I saw a young kid playing an old man. I saw a dark skinned man playing a light skinned man. It seems to me that this game breaks barriers and that it might be a good way to meet people and learn from them.

I also looked for other churches in this neighborhood. This is one of my exercises assigned in the Redeemer Church Planting Manual. I came across two churches: Trinity Catholic and St. Pauls. Trinity looked pretty closed and bare but with much history and legacy. St. Paul's was hopping with all their 9/11 memorabilia. Both started in the 1800s. It seems to me that there is a huge need for something fresh and alive!

I also walked around the WTC site. Tons and tons of tourists did the same. When the site is fully operational again and the monument is functioning, I'm sure there will even be more tourists! Will our church have anything to do or any ministry we can provide for the tourists? Is there a way we can minister to them?

I sat in the World Financial Center which is the hub of all things WTC and 9/11. It has maps of the future sight, an elevated plane on which one can overlook the WTC site and a common area where people can just sit. I again partook in just sitting and watching. A large majority of the people were tourists. The theme plastered on the walls in the WFC was “From Recovery to Renewal.”

I walked down N. Church street to Broadway. Broadway back to N. Church. N. Church to Ann St. Ann St. to West St. I walked quite a way down West Street. I saw on West Street St. John’s Univ. of Manhattan, Hudson River Park, Borough of Manhattan Comm. College, b-ball courts, Pier 25, a very sad mini-golf course and a skating park. West St. was hopping! I passed by a couple of public schools that looked nice. In this more residential neighborhood I noticed that the majority of people were young and Caucasian.

Lord, I pray that our church might be part of the renewal that takes place downtown. May you give us the strength and the blessing to work with the community to restore hope and faith. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home