Monday, November 22, 2004

We now have 24 people committed to the launch team. I hope that each of these committed will come to understand their role(s) in this community of faith. Many of them have been marginalized in the established church and several have yet to find their niche. The new church will allow them the opportunity to grow and mature quickly because the learning curve is fast and furious.

Over the last two Saturdays we’ve done walking tours of Brooklyn and come back to pray about what we’ve seen and experienced. It’s been great to get out with some of the launch team to dream and envision what God has in store for us. We’ve walked Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill and Carroll Gardens over the past two weeks.

As we walked in Carroll Gardens, Tom B. pointed out a “social club.” I was mystified as I had no idea what he was talking about. I kept asking questions as we walked and he kept shutting me up. Finally he said the “m” word: mob. It was a place where the mob bosses hang out and make their “business” plans. I asked him what would happen if I just walked in and he said I would quickly be ushered out. Wow, who knew this still existed? But in Carroll Gardens the mob still has a grip on the neighborhood. Tom said it was kinda nice because it meant that the neighborhood was safe.

Not much is going to happen in December but we are gearing up for our Sunday night meetings in January. That will be when the launch team will start gathering together at my house. Wow, this thing is so around the corner.

My next blog is going to be on the relationship the Brooklyn church will have with the evangelical world. To give you a hint: shivers are sent down my spine when I hear the word “evangelical”…and it ain’t the good kind of shivers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home