Wednesday, September 10, 2003

(ACTUAL DATE THIS WAS WRITTEN: 9/9/03)
(note: I did not travel downtown on 9/2 and 9/4)

Today I’m sitting outside the NYSE. It looks as if it's in lockdown. Security everywhere, security dogs, gates, roads closed, squad cars and vans and trucks, guys with machine guns…all of this surround the NYSE. The guy standing on the steps next to me tells me that it’s been that way since 9/11. He says, “you once were able to take a tour of the place, which was a great tour, but now it is only open to those who work there.” I’m a little shocked but it makes sense…I guess. In addition, we are only two days away from the 2nd anniversary to 9/11. Maybe there is heightened security because of that. Whatever the case, the guys in the suits who work in the area or actually in the NYSE don’t even notice or give a second look to all the security. It has become their way of life.

BTW, the guy standing next to me has a shirt that reads, “WARNING: God sees everything you do.” He stands with his hands crossed with a half scowl on his face staring at the NYSE. He isn’t a tourist because he isn’t taking pictures and doesn’t have a camera bag but has that authentic NYC look so I’m wondering, why he is here? So I ask him.

He is protesting the stock exchange. Why? Because of all the greed and lies of corporate America. He is tired, he says, of corporate scandal and lies and wants changes that can insure America and the world that we deal honestly in our business practices. “These guys average $10K in their 401K. How much does a person need to live?” Wow, good question.

I ask him if has ever made scene in order to get noticed or attempted to talk to some of the “suits”. He said he hadn’t but pointed to two cameras that sat atop of the NYSE and said, “they see me, they know I’m here.”

He has done this for 30 days straight, one hour a day. What difference will he make on the NYSE? Not much probably but he has made me think about my own greed. Ouch, I needed that.

On another note, having lunch with Kerrick of the church plant called The Journey and Jerod of the church plant called The Bronx Fellowship has made me come to grips with my aloneness in this endeavor. I need a teammate. But not just any ‘ol teammate will do as I have learned from both of these guys, I need a teammate with which I will work well!

Lord, I need you more than anything. Help this plant become a reality. And may it be to your glory. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home