Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Welcome Home Sweet Boy



What a day! I don't have the energy right now to give you the full details but it's been a heck of a day. I couldn't keep quiet about the big day. I told the receptionist at my gym, Michelle, that I was bringing my boy home today. I told the car attendant at the hospital, Umberto, that I was bringing Ira home today. I told the security detail at the hospital, Albert and Maria, that Ira was leaving today. None of them asked but I told them.

As we left the hospital, nurses and docs cheered for us. Church family came to cheer for us. I cried then and have been crying on and off all day.

Ira's doing well. He had a hard time with the transition from the cannula to the CPAP this evening and it wigged us all out a little as he turned blue and cried furiously but we got over that hump and he is sleeping nicely.

Sophia has been incredible through all this. All she wanted to do tonight was have Ira sit in her lap. So we made it happen. She was a happy girl. We are a happy family.



The two nurses we've met thus far are just fine. Our space it tight and already I'm feeling a bit compromised in my freedom but this is the sacrifice we make, right? So we press on.

There are many more hurdles as some of you have mentioned in your comments. Ira is still a sick boy. That's evident when he turns blue and when he throws up. It's evident every time we feed him through the G-tube and not through the mouth. It's evident when we give him his five different meds throughout the day. It's evident when you hear him cough or grunt for air.

But he's come far in this marathon and I expect that he will go farther. It's not over yet. But he is still running. And if he is, so are we.

7 Comments:

Blogger Byron said...

Blake is fired up that Ira got to go home. So are we.

Bundys

11:35 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

Hallelujah!!

11:50 PM  
Blogger Joyce B. said...

Yes! Joe, I've been following along but unable to post until now. I'm glad you are all home together. I'll keep praying. - Joyce Brehmer

12:07 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

tears for you all...
lots of them...
what a wonderful day!


sleep well tonight, sweet family, all under the same roof.

12:50 AM  
Blogger The Root said...

Woohoo!
The prayers will continue, but it's so great to have these moments to celebrate. :)
Jonathan

4:15 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

I think of you guys often as I pass the Bergen stop on my way to work everyday. It's usually "They've probably left already to see Ira.". But today it was "Wow, everyone is home today." I wish you many blessings and peace on your first day at home together.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Dana M. said...

I'm so happy for you guys. I know that's already been said a thousand times, but I can't find better words than that. Hooray for the Hays Family today!

My Chick Bible study group was so excited to hear the good news of Ira going home, they all wrote e-mails back to me to rejoice with you. You probably got lots of extra prayer pages yesterday from Atlanta, GA.

Have a great weekend at home with your boy!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home