Monday, March 20, 2006

Dare I Say It?

Ira's doing really good. Today, Monday, he spent a total of four hours just on oxygen alone. Very cool. And we passed the final test today as well. Every once in a while, the old trach has to be replaced with a new trach. And like everything else, we need to know how to do that. And so Laura went for it today and passed with flying colors. The surgeons looked on as Laura did it. It was quite, um, weird to see a hole in the middle of Ira's neck. Laura and I were freakin' out. One of the surgeons said, "don't worry if stuff spews out of that hole. Just continue on with the procedure." Laura did well, the surgeons gave us a thumbs up and it looks as though we'll be out of the hospital soon. Really, the only thing holding us up is getting everything (nursing, equipment, therapies) in place at home. Let's hope it's this week.
-------------------------
The church plant in Brooklyn is taking off. We have a leadership team that is propelling us forward. I, as of this week, have an office space in Brooklyn. And different people of the church are stepping up and serving in significant ways. I really feel like the church is doing well and I'm excited about the possibilities.
-------------------------
I've had several people ask me through the comments on this blog and through e-mail how it is that a Christian can "dig" the movie Brokeback Mountain. Soon I'll give you my take on the movie and why I think it is absolutely important that this movie be seen.

Oh, and for the record (because I know what you're thinking), no, New York has not changed me. I've always found myself left of center. You should see my jump shot. Totally off-balance, always leaning a little left.

6 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Three cheers for Ira!!!
The best news ever. I am typing with a smile on my face. Keep on fighting baby boy.

Do you have any idea how long he will need the trach?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Bulldog said...

Thankful that Ira is coming home soon, praise be to God. We've been hoping for the day when you might be able to make another coming home video for Ira. We're glad that day quickly approaches.

Looking forward to your comments on Brokeback Mountain.

8:17 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe, right there with you on that left of center placement. I, too, loved Brokeback Mountain and I, also, think everyone should see it. We'll talk later when you post about it.

9:47 PM  
Blogger The Floydster said...

I learned of your family and challenges through Mike Cope's blog and have been following your journey and praying for you. I'm so happy that Ira is doing better, and I'm delighted that you would go to see "Brokeback Mountain", much less enjoy it. I've seen and enjoyed it as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your comments on it.

Anne (a new blog friend from California)

1:17 AM  
Blogger KentF said...

Three cheers for Ira - you can't keep a good man down! I'm likewise looking forward to your comments on BBM very much so. I haven't seen the movie - and probably won't, but McMurtry is one of my 3-4 favorite fiction writers.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Joe - I think one of the reasons Brandon and I like you so much is because of that "left of center" quality. We love Laura, too, 'cause she can bake ukele cakes.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home