Sunday, July 16, 2006

Hell Froze Over!

Our friend, Jonathan - you can find out more about him here or here - returned from Vegas not long ago after having performed the lead role of Princeton/Rod in Avenue Q at the Wynn Las Vegas. Word was that Jonathan was so good that it was a matter of time before the Broadway production of Q called on him. Sure enough, they did. Jonathan is currently the understudy of Princeton/Rod on Broadway.

He wrote Laura and me an e-mail last week saying, "I'm going on as Princeton/Rod this coming weekend and would love for you guys to come see it. The tickets are on Holly and me!" As I read the e-mail the excitement I suddenly felt was soon squelched by reality. Hell will freeze over before Laura and I ever get to go out again! I thought to myself.

Well, it must be really cold in hell.

After having gone for almost two months of not getting out of the house with my wife, it happened Saturday night. We asked our night nurse who usually comes at 11 PM to come at 6 PM instead. He gladly said yes. We then asked our good friends, the Brookses, if they would keep Sophia for the night. They were more than willing. Everything was in place.

Off we went to Times Square. Normally, Times Square on a Saturday night is not my idea of fun but we were there to see our friend perform the lead in Avenue Q and nothing - not even rude tourists who think they own the city - was going to deter Laura and me from having a fun night.

We stopped off at Ollie's for a quick bite and then we were off to see Avenue Q. Laura and I haven't laughed that hard in a very, very long time. Songs like What Do You Do with a B.A. in English and Everyone's a Little Bit Racist and Shadenfreude and I Wish I Could Go Back to College had Laura and me rolling! And there are no words to describe how ridiculously good Jonathan is up on stage. People, listen up, remember this name: Jonathan Root. If the dude was a business I would tell you to invest. Stooopid good!

After the show, we waited for Jonathan at the stage door (yes, we felt like groupies) and went out for drinks with him. Laura and I peppered him with silly questions about what it's like being on Broadway and he played along answering any and all questions.

The night was incredible. This post doesn't sum up very well how good it was to be out of the house. Together. With no kids. Thank you, Jonathan and Holly!

Maybe the finale of Avenue Q sums up our night...and our life. It's a song titled For Now and toward the end of the song, the lyrics are as follows:

Nothing lasts,
Life goes on,
Full of surprises.
You'll be faced with problems of all shapes and sizes.
You're going to have to make a few compromises...For now...
For now...
But only for now! (For now)
Only for now! (For now)
Only for now! (For now)
Only for now!

-

10 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Yay! Yay! and yay! I am so happy that you got to go out.
I just came back from 3 days at Fortress with about 30 middle school girls...amazing!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Dates are so nice, whether you get them often or rarely. That sounds like a good musical. Maybe when I'm in NY (not likely to happen any time soon) I will get to see that musical.

Glad it was a good time!

11:24 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Yay! So happy to hear about your night out!

(Julie... Fortress intern Andrew is living with us this summer. He had GREAT things to say about your group! Thanks for being here!)

1:10 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

How FUN!!! Broadway shows have to be one of the biggest perks of living in NYC. So stoked that you and Laura got to go on such a fabulous date!

10:30 AM  
Blogger The Root said...

I'm glad you had a good time, my friend. We've missed not seeing you guys. :)

"For now we're healthy,
for now we're employed.
For now we're happy
if not overjoyed.
And we'll accept the things we cannot avoid
for now."

Much love, brutha.
Jonathan

12:34 PM  
Blogger victoria said...

thank goodness hell froze over--if any two deserve it it is you guys!!

4:51 PM  
Blogger TKP said...

How fun does that sound!! So glad you and Lady Laura got to go out and see some awesome Broadway! Tell those kiddos hi from TKP!

P.S. I really need Laura's t-shirt size so I can send her a GASB shirt. She IS VP after all...

9:59 PM  
Blogger Indie Pereira said...

That's cool. I remember him from college.

8:37 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Dude, muchas gracias to the night nurse and the Brooks crew for making it possible!

10:03 PM  
Blogger Joyce B. said...

I saw that show two years ago. It cracked me up too!

Very glad you had a date and a fun night out.

Much continued success to Jonathon.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home