Thursday, June 22, 2006

From Soccer to Sushi

I've been watching soccer for almost two weeks now. I've seen quite a few games. I'm bummed the US team won't advance but it's a thing of beauty that Ghana will. It's a rare thing to see the following headline: GHANA BEATS USA!
------------------------------------------------
More on soccer: I've come to appreciate soccer and the athleticism it takes to play the game. The guys are incredibly coordinated (with their feet), toned and fast. But they are big, huge cry babies. Their acting skills (I need a stretcher! Oh, I feel better! No wait, bring back the stretcher! Psst, teammate, did they call the foul?) are Oscar worthy! I'm not saying there aren't legit fouls but these guys ham it up in a big way.
-----------------------------------------------
More on soccer: Ira digs it! His eyes get huge when the Telemundo announcers get excited...which is often.
-----------------------------------------------
How can you people drink your hot drinks during these summer months? Full disclosure - I don't drink coffee or any hot drinks for that matter so I don't really get it at all but I especially don't get how a hot cup of joe can be good on a 90 degree day. Someone please help me understand.
-----------------------------------------------
They are putting in a Dunkin' Donuts around the corner. This is not good news as donuts are my absolute favorite. People, for the love of all things diet, please help me stop the Dunkin' Donuts corporation from opening up this location. I can't afford it physically or financially! Down with Dunkin' Donuts!
----------------------------------------------
Confession: Laura and I have never had sushi. This is a no-no in NYC. Some friends recently found out and want to take us to a sushi bar in Manhattan. I'm scared. I'm very, very scared.

-

11 Comments:

Blogger happytheman said...

it was nice to sit in a bar last week with many a hooligan who was rooting for USA against Italy. I thought I would never see the day when people would jump up and down in the USA for a football game.

10:48 PM  
Blogger G&G Girl said...

Ron will be happy you & Ira are catchin so much soccer. He scheduled to go into work late today just to watch the games. :-)

I was introduced to sushi 4 years ago, which apparantly was late in the game, and I too was very very afraid ... but I love it now! I really am confident that it's so less scary than you think.

12:12 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

Joe...

i got to enjoy the game at a restaurant here in Tanzania. I share the bittersweet feelings about the game, but the sheer joy on the African faces made it all worth while.

And they were pretty happy to have a white face to share that joy with!

oh, and the acting does drive me nuts: touch my jersey and I go flying through the air, and the other guy gets a yellow card. the only weakness of this game!

2:44 AM  
Blogger Richie said...

Coffee -- I drink it all day long during the "cooler" months here in Texas. But in the summer, I still must have my fix in the mornings. It's a necessity. Illogical from the heat outside, but makes perfect sense to my caffenine addiction.

Love the sushi! Embrace it.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Brandon said...

It makes me so happy to hear that you and Ira are watching soccer. But "huge cry babies"? No way. Actors? Yes. There are definitely times when a player tries to take a dive when he's in trouble, or spends an extra 10 seconds on the ground to let his team catch their breath, or spends an extra 5 minutes on the ground to run out the clock (as in the Ghana game). Nobody likes that part of soccer and they've made rule changes to improve it (only recently has an injured player been required to leave the field -- previously, they just got up and continued). But you've got to admit it's a small gripe about an otherwise beautiful game.

Enjoy your sushi. Start small. Lots of sauce and wasabi.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love soccer, but i agree with the whole crybaby thing. it drives me nuts. but of course squeezing in a litle breather makes complete sense too. can't say that i wouldn't do the same.

i'm always cold in the morning. I need coffee.

you're not missing anything with the whole sushi craze. People do it to fit in. No one really likes it. It's just that no one has admitted it yet. Sushi is gross.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

Your St Louis friends say embrace sushi. We are jealous that you have such a great opportunity for good and fresh fish. Remember...it's not scary. Order a California roll and sticky rice with a side of edamamae and you will have a great meal with no raw fish on your plate!

It was great to see Laura in St Louis last weekend! Come back soon!

11:19 AM  
Blogger kenny said...

Yum.. Sushi.. mouth. watering.

Soccer is awesome. There's a good reason it is the most popular sport worldwide. Its ability to represent and include the common man into their world. In only a few countries are the soccer stars mega-celebrities ala Beckham. Most club teams throughout the world are "part time" players and part time mill workers, mechanics, carpenters, etc... and aren't paid gobs of cash to play for their club. This of course is always changing and evolving and there is constantly more money being pumped into the system to keep it alive and growing - hence why it is slowly growing popularity here in the US. The Global Village concept won't keep soccer from the general public of the USA for very long.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I've never had sushi either and I'm also very scared. Raw fish? I'm not convinced. Look out for worms.

7:01 PM  
Blogger Tammy M. said...

Sushi in Manhattan, sounds dreamy. When my husband and I need a Sushi fix, we are stuck with the local sushi place in a supermarket in Abilene, or drive to Dallas....makes for a long night. Sushi fix....you will get addicted. Try a spicy tuna roll, spicy scallops, california roll (no raw fish on it), green mussells, and just enjoy your heart out. By the way, sushi just means fish and rice, sashimi means raw fish, of my favorite items listed, only one includes raw fish, the spicy tuna roll, everything else only includes cooked stuff. I am sure your friends will lead you down an awesome road of discovery to a food that will call you back many, many times.

9:18 AM  
Blogger TKP said...

Joe, you have reason to be afraid. I ate cooked sushi (which, I suppose, is a bit of an oxymoron) made by a Japanese housewife in Japan and was sick for not one, but TWO DAYS!!! Good luck, man. You might need it (and a few Rolaids.)

1:05 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home