Monday, June 05, 2006

um, yeah, cancel that too

Part of our new norm is that we can't get away. I was to officiate my cousin's wedding this past January. Sophia and I had our tickets and were ready to fly to D/FW. However, Ira went into the hospital and a week before my cousin's wedding, I called with the news that I had to cancel. He was more than gracious and completely understanding but I still regret not getting to be a part of his wedding day.

Laura and I were to have a small part at the Pepperdine Lectures this past May. We were going to co-teach a class on what it means to do ministry in the midst of crisis. It just so happened that our crisis kept us from going to Malibu. Two weeks before the lectures, I called the guy who oversees the lecturs and cancelled. Again, graciousness poured forth but we were bummed about not getting to go to Malibu and enjoying the beauty there.

I was to attend the 2006 Engle Institute of Preaching at Princeton Seminary, my alma mater. I was looking forward to spending time with peers in the same profession as I, sitting at the feet of great professors and refining my preaching skills. But alas, there's no way I can leave Laura with both kids. It's just too much. And so I gave up my spot in the Institute. And of course, they were gracious in dealing with me but I'm bummed about the missed opportunity to learn.

I'm not attempting to garner more sympathy from you - you've doled it out in large quantities and we're grateful for your care. And I'm aware (I'm trying to be aware) that this won't last forever; that Ira won't be in such a state forever; that someday we'll be able to travel together. For now, I just wanted to share the kind of life we are settling into and in sharing, I'm hoping to be more accepting of it.

Lord, help me abide in this moment.

-

2 Comments:

Blogger KentF said...

Continued prayers Joe - your graciousness and patience are amazing. FWIW - I felt the Pepperdine deal would have been an unbelievably difficult task to pull off - but I know it would have been good for your spirit.

4:22 PM  
Blogger TKP said...

You are loved in Japan! Say hi to those beautiful kids for TKP!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home