Thursday, July 06, 2006

You must read this!

I've finally done a little work on my sidebar.

Within the past two months people have handed me five different books and said something along the lines of, "You must read this!" Okay, so none of the friends were actually that pushy and the Nick Hornby book came with an indifferent recommendation but still... The five books sit by my bed on my nightstand as a reminder that I have some serious reading ahead of me.

But for some reason I can't garner the desire to sit down and engage in a good novel. I tried starting a couple of these books and while they interest me I just haven't found the energy to keep on.

Besides those of you who lent me the books, have any of you read these titles? Where should I start? (Click on the front cover of the book to see title.)

-

4 Comments:

Blogger happytheman said...

Man it's summer you don't waste your summer reading, the only place I read during the summer is next to the pool or at the beach.

Nick Hornby is a great writer and fever pitch is a great read for all football fans. But my favorite was High Fedelity I haven't read Long Way Down or About a Boy but I did see the movie.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

I love summer reading.

I don't remember if I told you to read "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close", but I know I didn't lend you my copy, so I get to comment. I am a huge JSF fan. The book is pretty heavy and emotional, but so wonderful. You have to prepare yourself for that when you read it, but it is so worthwhile.

I read my first Nick Hornby, "How to Be Good", a few weeks ago. I enjoyed it very much. I've been told "Long Way Down" is the best one yet.

10:55 AM  
Blogger holly said...

Joe--no shame on these--I have almost exactly same stack of five (instead of SO BIG, sub in A HISTORY OF LOVE; embarrassingly, my copy of A LONG WAY DOWN has been on the stack a year and a half), I'm about ten to fifty pages into each of them, and in the meantime I've started and finished probably 40 other books. These "stack books" are good, but require a certain level of investment that I've not yet felt. I'm ok with that though, because I truly believe that certain books are only good if you read them at the right time--I don't think there's anything to be gained by forcing yourself through a book. I always encourage people to put a book down and let it rest if it doesn't grab them immediately--it may just not be the right time for it, and better to wait than to waste the chance to have a book hit you at exactly the right moment. Wow, I'm such a book dork.

11:23 AM  
Blogger julie said...

A comment from another book dork...I love Nick Hornby and also have the same book in the stack beside my bed. I am embarrassed to say that right now I am reading The Devil Wears Prada and I am loving it. I don't like to see movies before I have read the book and I love Meryl Streep and Ann Hathaway...so, I have to read the book before I see the movie.
I just finished one of my very favorite books ever...Gilead by Marilynne Robinson. A story that gives light.
Sorry, I am not much help here...but I think I would start with Nick Hornby.

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home