Thursday, September 21, 2006

surprise, surprise

The Manhattan Church of Christ sponsors the work I do in Brooklyn. Laura and I attended the Manhattan Church until we got the Brooklyn church up and running. Rarely do I get a chance to attend services at Manhattan Church of Christ but when I do I'm always reminded of how many visitors it attracts.

For those of you not familiar with the church landscape, the Church of Christ is a small, mostly southern denomination. It's a theologically conservative church. It's members (or parishioners) are so devoted that when on vacation - say, to New York City - they'll take time out of their sightseeing to attend a Sunday morning service. And so it's very common to encounter visitors at the Manhattan Church of Christ.

Problem is, Manhattan Church of Christ doesn't exactly wear the "theologically conservative" label that most Churches of Christ do. For example, the Manhattan Church of Christ allows full participation of both men and women in its worship service. In other words, you might see a women pop up from a pew and read scripture, lead a prayer, share a testimony and - while it's only happened on a couple of occasions - preach.

For those visiting from our southern sister Churches of Christ, this can be quite alarming. It's not unusual for our guests to get up and walk out in the middle of the service. And even more common is for our guests to write a formal condemnation of our actions on the back of an attendance card. (It's amazing how much can be crammed on the back of those small cards!)

Two Sundays ago I preached at the Manhattan Church of Christ. Before the service I met four visitors from Texas. I wondered how they would react to the woman leading us in worship that morning. I then wondered how they would respond when, in my sermon on the Beatitudes found in Matthew 5, I used my brother-in-law's lines:
We associate God's blessing with power. We associate God's blessing
with success. We associate it with strength. To which of these
Beatitudes do our politicians of both parties refer when they repeatedly
insist that God Blesses America? To none of these. Because in
the world we live in we most certainly do not equate blessing with meekness
or starvation, or poverty. Our national creed is of confidence,
abundance, and wealth. And it is in the service of such aspirations that we
invite and assume the blessing of God.

I was sure they would be repelled by the woman leading singing and if that didn't do it, then surely I would lose them when I mocked our politicians in wrongly assuming God's blessing upon America.

But they sat there. They sang and they prayed and they read scripture with the rest of us. And when the service ended, one of them approached me. Surely this chosen one was going to chew me out.

But she didn't. She handed me an envelop, said, "thank you," and walked away. Inside was a $100 bill and a note that read, "for the work in Brooklyn." No name and no address.

-

9 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

My brother-in-law, Lance, gave me permission to use that section in my sermon. Lance is a homiletics PhD student at Emory and future preachers will do well to study under him as he has an understanding of the preaching craft that few do.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

That is awesome!

12:41 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Thanks Joe, for making me cry this Thursday morning!

I can't tell you how many times I have made a judgment about someone, and they - and ultimately God - proved me wrong. I'm embarassed to still be having to learn this lesson at my age. But I'm also grateful for how God uses those moments to soften my heart towards humankind.

1:12 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

Awesome.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Krister said...

This is a great story. Thanks for sharing.

3:41 PM  
Blogger Dana M. said...

That's powerful, Joe--both the lesson and the visitor at church. Thanks for sharing. I needed that bit of encouragement today.

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, powerful.

1:00 AM  
Blogger RD said...

Joe,
An excellent reminder of our tendency to judge from outward appearances, not at the heart. This is a constant struggle no matter what our 'geographical background' or political leanings. I'm also encouraged to see that you are boldly addressing our confusion between patriotism and discipleship... very timely. God bless you and the family (and God bless all nations, because we need it).
-Russ

10:29 AM  
Blogger KentF said...

Wonderful post Joe. I'm afraid jgoen's post - however tongue in cheek it may have been - is too often true. In an effort to be open and non-judgmental - others are judged and condemned for not being open and non-judgmental. That's called elitism - and Jesus wasn't about that either.

Fightin' the good fight is tough anywhere. Yes, it is more difficult in the Bible-belt, but let's not condemn a region.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home