Wednesday, November 08, 2006

hermeneutic of suspicion

Christ's Church for Brooklyn meets in a rented space at the local YWCA. Our services are on Sunday evenings in an old work-out room that is adorned with mirrored walls. The cost of rent is pretty darn cheap for a space in Brooklyn at $100 for two hours each Sunday. So what if the space doesn't exactly inspire a meditative spiritual state, it's cheap! We've been meeting at the Y for a little over a year now.

Every first Sunday of the month, we share in a communal meal. It was only recently that someone said, "Why don't we invite the women who live here to eat with us?" Duh! It was a no-brainer. Why hadn't we thought of this earlier? Geez. Anyway, this particular Y has 210 rooms that are occupied by women of all stripes. This past Sunday we ordered pizzas, provided salad, fruit and desserts (with the help of members from Manhattan Church of Christ) and opened the doors to the women who lived at the Y.

At about 5 PM, they started strolling in...slowly. They had a look on their face that gave away their feeling - they were suspicious. As I went to greet them, I was met with question after question: Who are you guys? Why are you doing this? Who paid for this meal? Oh, you're a church? Are you full gospel? Are you Catholic or protestant? Exactly what denomination are you affiliated with? Who's the pastor here? YOU? You're too young!"

Upon hearing that we were a church, some immediately turned and left. Some came in, got a plate of food and left. Some sat, ate and then left. Some stayed and shared life stories with us as we shared ours.

I was reminded of the general hermeneutic that almost all of us operate under - a hermeneutic of suspicion. I'm no different from the women at the Y. In fact, I'm probably more suspicious for I probably wouldn't have stepped foot in that old work-out room for a meal.

This church planting thing we're doing here in Brooklyn? Well, it's kinda hard but I'm hoping that over time the suspicion of our community will give way to trust.

-

4 Comments:

Blogger jch said...

Hey RM,

Let me be clear, the women were grateful, the evening was fun and God was glorified. But as I greeted the women at the door, the overwhelming sense was that of suspicion. I was glad to see that after some genunine interaction, that suspicion seemed to dissipate.

3:48 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

I think you are right. I see that suspicion even in the big, we built a place just for "church" churches. And...I'm one of em. Its the thought of, what do you want from me? Do i have to change to be here? Am I accepted for me, or would you kick me out if you knew the real me?
Why is it so hard to go to church?

12:59 PM  
Blogger James E. Miller said...

Sounds like you guys are doing something right...

The responses you got from those women sound very similar to the responses Jesus got during his ministry.

9:55 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

What an incredibly cool thing.

I call table fellowship/Lord's supper "Big Table". The most wonderful time for me with my Christ-siblings. I'm sure it will be a lasting memory for the down-and-out.

Yes, "suspicious" describes it well, I'm sure.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home