Thursday, February 15, 2007

i will not concede!

There is much I have given up, linguistically speaking, since living in NYC. I hardly ever say y'all, I call carbonated beverages soda and I've just about lost my accent. (Though that's up for debate, so I've been told.) But what I can't get used to is the phrase people here in NYC use when referring to standing in line as one might do while waiting his/her turn at the grocery store. See? Even in trying to describe the phrase I use it as I've always heard it - standing in line. Here they say, "Are you standing on line?" or "Next on line, please." or "Are you on line?" or "You must stand on line and wait your turn like everyone else." For some reason, this phrase on line drives me crazy.

Well I'm not having it. Nope. No way. No longer. I've lived with it for three and a half years. I'm going to organize a rally in Central Park in order to protest the use of the phrase on line. We will (I'm sure there are many others here in the city who feel the same way I do!) encourage our city council to ban any use of that phrase while in stores, etc. We will push for legislation at the state level that will incriminate any who dare utter those words while waiting their turn! And we will take this to the higher branches of our US government hoping to forever instill a sense of dignity to the ritual that is standing in line! Yes, I can see the rally happening now!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go wait on line to get my permit to hold such a rally.

-

10 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

That is too funny!
My husband is from Ireland. When I first met him - we smoked cigarettes - he asked me if I had a fag. I thought he was so weird. Till someone told me he was asking me for a cigarette.

12 years later, I still have a hard time understanding him when he comes back from Ireland. His brog (sp?) gets so thick!

XOXO

3:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When you stand on line, be sure to wear your SNEAKERS - not tennis shoes!

5:51 PM  
Blogger allison said...

Oh my gosh! I have to jump in on this one. That "on line" phrase drives me absolutely crazy, too. Although not in NY anymore, I'd gladly catch a Jetblue flight back to join your rally!!

11:38 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

Maybe you can just queue up instead?

10:00 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

Oops, acombs beat me to it...darn it all.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Sean said...

I'm totally with you. That "on line" thing drives me crazy - even just in the movies.

9:54 PM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

You haven't given up as much as you think (see here.

The thing that drives me crazy is the kids I work with who can ask a question as a statement. Like....

"I could come over."

Drives me crazy!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I have my own phraseologgy pet peeves:

A TV show is going "over" (over to where? Isn't it going OFF?"

She "went" missing (like she went shopping? Shouldn't it be IS? She IS missing?)


What's wrong with people. I'll join you in your rally if it helps.

12:09 PM  
Blogger mad4books said...

"ON" line? Ewww.

That's nearly as bad as "grow your business" or "I *COULD* care less." (Those two particular phrases are like nails on a chalkboard to me...)

4:41 PM  
Blogger rob the redbeard said...

hi Rob from Bronx Fellowship here. -- My personal war is against the term "sort of" -- it has infected our society across the board and makes all statements relativistic. He sort of shot a three-pointer and when we, sort of, went to war in 2003, etc.... It must be stopped! Real men (and women) are primarily unequivocal!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home