Thursday, July 26, 2007

three beautiful women

We were fortunate to see a lot of people we love and adore while on our trip. (We were also sad to miss out on seeing others we love and adore.) Laura and I, having been away from our respective homes for quite some time, were feeling especially nostalgic for our extended families. So it was quite special when we got to see our grandmothers.

Grandmother Hays now lives in Brownfield, Texas so we got to see her one day while in Tahoka. (I was born in Brownfield which is 30 minutes from Tahoka.) While Grandmom's memory isn't what it used to be she was definitely aware of Ira and getting to meet him. I loved watching her watch Ira.

My other grandmother, Grandmother Lambert, turned 90 this summer. Our entire trip was scheduled around her birthday party. It was incredible seeing her and celebrating with her. She was married to Ira Lambert. This was her first time meeting our Ira. There was something special between those two.

And finally, on our way back to Brooklyn, we made an excursion to northern Arkansas to Ash Flat where Laura's maternal grandmother lives. Grandmother Sharp is still sharp at 96 years old. She's had her moments over the past few years so I wasn't sure what to expect. I was in awe of her. And so were my kids.

All of these women are women of faith. Each one has prayed for Ira and our family over the past two years. Such is their faith that I knew that every morning began with a prayer for Ira. This not only gave my family comfort but their faithfulness was and always will be an example to us. I hope to someday realize their steadfastness and unwavering faith. In the meantime, I'll keep looking up to them and striving for what they have.

-

4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

That is so awesome, Joe!

Treasure them while you can. They are here for such a brief time.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mom said...

Sounds like you come from a long line of love.

4:58 PM  
Blogger mad4books said...

Lump...throat...can't swallow.

Great post.

8:21 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I loved looking at all of the beautiful pictures of your families. I know these will be great memories that you all will have to cherish forever.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home