Wednesday, October 22, 2003

This past week was an interesting one downtown. Last Tuesday, Oct. 14 I decided to go hang out at Union Square. (Union Square is on 14th street and is probably a bit north of where we will want to plant a church.) I took along my Redeemer Church Planting Manual to read if I felt inspired to do so. I walked around the square for a few minutes taking in the sites of all kinds of people doing all sorts of things. I finally plopped down on a bench. I thought I was isolating myself as the benches around me were empty. I started to read. Without notice, a guy sat next to me, looked over my shoulder to see what I was reading and said, "are you studying to be a minister?" This started what would become a two hour conversation.

After explaining to this man that I was already a minister he began asking about the "rich young man" and wondered aloud if anyone rich had a chance to go to heaven?! He later confessed that he is rich. It was obvious that his wealth bothered him deep down inside. He then began quoting Buddha and comparing the sayings of Buddha with Jesus. Our talk took a sharp turn into the realm of comparative religion. It was evident at that turn that I was out of my league. Yeah, I have studied other religions but not to the point to have a meaningful conversation with someone as obviously learned as this guy!

I finally asked him what he did for a living? "I'm a professor at Fordham." "Oh yeah? In what field?" I asked. "At the moment, I'm teaching a class on world religions." D'oh! No wonder, I was out of my league. Come to find out, this guy has several degrees, the most recent from Harvard! He has taught all over the world and his Ph.D. is in comparative religion and his specialty is in Buddhism. Yikes! Who am I?

He wanted badly to say that there were no real differences in Christianity and Buddhism. My claim was that there might be some similarities in teaching but in the end, Buddha didn't die for the world or raise from the dead and therein lies the absolute difference!

It was an incredible discussion in which I learned much. I respect this man and respect from whence he comes and I gathered that he too respects me and he too respects from whence I come. He invited me to come to one of his classes and I look forward to doing so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home