Monday, January 24, 2005

I ate and ate and ate until I could eat no more. This weekend in Texas I ate my sorrows away. We made all the local stops that I love: Freebirds, Pappasito's Cantina, Wings 'N' More, DICKEY'S, Paris Coffee Shop. To say the least, I'm stuffed. Literally. I didn't eat dinner on Sunday evening and no breakfast this Monday morning. I could skip lunch and be just fine. I think I gained an extra 10 pounds this weekend but it was worth every bite!

I couldn't have asked for a better time in Ft. Worth. I visited with church members of the church (Fortress) where I pastored, prayed with my friends and yes, farted and played XBox. While there was not a spare moment it was a good time. My friends were quite generous with us not allowing us to pay for meals or our airfare. Laura and I were overwhelmed with their generosity.

I can't imagine going through this time alone. Green Day has a popular song I like called "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". It's a song lamenting one's lonliness and alone-ness. While I often feel this way it is so not true. It's a lie. This weekend was yet another way of God saying that we are not alone in this journey. My prayer is that I will be the kind of pastor who is as giving as my friends were this weekend. We are not alone. And this will carry us forward.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe Clyde, it's your favorite cousin Jay . First of all, I must say that I don't know if i am more jealous that y'all are going to Mexico, or that you have been skiing! I just wanted you to know that I have been thinking about you, Laura, Sophia, and Ira alot lately and wanted to give you some words of encouragement. I know as I face struggles in my life (hey, college life IS hard!), that is is always uplifting to hear some encouraging words every now and then. I just want you to know Joe Clyde, that you really mean alot to me and I have always looked up to you as not only a role-model, but also as a person. Anytime you have given me lessons of life, or building my relationship with God, or even just making right decisions, I have always taken what you've said to heart because I have always trusted and believed in your advice. I just want you to know that Andrea and I are praying for you each and every day and that I really miss you guys! Keep your faith strong! (jsl00e@acu.edu) I Love y'all!!

P.S.
Just for the record--if we went skiing together, you know I'd burn you down the mountain because your OLD knees wouldn't be able to keep up with me!

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Joe and Laura,
It was a blessing for us to have you guys stay with us for a few days. Even though your scheduled was packed and it seemed like a fast visit, we treasured the time with you. Laura I hope you had a great visit with your college friends..I'll be looking forward to hearing about it. We love you guys and are thankful for your true friendship.

Love,
Abbie

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Laura,

It was so good to see you guys on your trip back home. (I still like to think of it as home!) I want you to know that even though we do not see or talk to each other often, you guys are in our thoughts and prayers often! Whether it is healing bodies or our hearts I am glad that our Father is the Great Physican. I am praying that He heal both in the Hays family. You are precious, precious people that are treasured by many. We love you very much.

Cara and Michael

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home