Saturday, April 23, 2005

It's early Saturday morning and I've popped into Brooklyn to take care of a couple of things. No change in status for Ira. He is in stable condition and I don't expect that to change this weekend. I think Monday will be a big day as the docs will be back from the weekend. We'll keep you posted.

Nighttime is the best time to be in the NICU with Ira. There isn't much happening at that time of the day; no major decisions to be made. I was able to spend about an hour of uninterrupted time with him. I just sat by his bed. He looked so at peace but I know full well that it was the sedation that put him at ease. Laura went to see Ira early, early this morning so that she could spend some alone time with him. We treasure these moments.

Ira, when not sedated, does squirm and has opened his eyes. He can squeeze my finger if I put it in his hand. Because he is ventilated through the nose and there is a monitor attached to his head (to make sure there are no blood-clots in the brain) you can't see his face too well. However, there are times when his little face contorts like a newborn who is fussy and needs feeding or comforting. However, Ira doesn't make any sounds; there are no cries. It's a hard face to look at as our instinct is to grab him and hold him tight.

I can't tell you how much of a blessing it is to now be able to touch him, kiss him and speak to him. We sing this rendition of Jesus Loves Me to Ira:

Jesus loves you this we know
For the Bible tells us so
Little ones to him belong
You are weak but he is strong
Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes, Jesus loves you
Yes, Jesus loves you
The Bible tells us so


Thanks for all your comments. We feel covered in your warm embrace.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

Joe - Thanks for understanding how desperate we all are out here to hear about how the little guy is doing. We appreciate you taking time out of your morning to share some news. And I agree with Jemini...the physical touch of Ira's parents has to be some of the best medicine...

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

we pray that God sustains, that God heals Ira, that his grace would be apparent. Christ be with you; you will continue to be in our prayers.

10:23 AM  
Blogger JP said...

You and your family are im my prayers. Praying for a complete healing of your little treasure. Hold on dear to these moments my friend, children are one of God's greatest gifts to us.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Arlene Kasselman said...

Joe and Laura
our prayer circle at church is praying for you guys. I was lying in bed just repeating the same plea to the Lord on your behalf and finally fell asleep in that peace. God is with you no matter what!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Malaysian Debster said...

Joe & Laura, our prayers and love will keep pouring on you both and baby Ira for as long as needed. The Lord is merciful and faithful to all those who remain faithful. Love, Debbie and Josue Villarreal

12:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

Thanks for the update on Baby Ira. You are thoughtful to take time away from him and Laura to keep us informed. We love you, and look forward to the time when we ALL get to see him and hold him.
God, heal our nephew, cousin, great-grandson, and loved one!

Stan

12:46 PM  
Blogger Kester Smith... said...

Rachel and I are praying hard. We don't know what else we can do, but if there is anything else, let us know so we can do it. Love you.

-Chris

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom and I will continue to pray for you, Laura, your family, the doctors, and your dear little Ira.
Tom and Sheila

2:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just got off the phone with my sister in China. She and the secret church family there will spend their time tomorrow in prayer for Ira.
Our days continue to be consumed with thoughts and prayers for you all.
Houston and Karen

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ira Lester Hays has shown his doctors and all of us what a little fighter he is, and Monday will be no exception. We all wait anxiously. Much love & continuous prayers from your Brownfield, Amarillo & Ft. Worth Hays' family!

3:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never met you or your precious children, but have been kept up to date by Brandon and Jana. I pray for Ira every day. My heart aches for you as I pray, not only for Ira, but for your strength.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

You are in my families prayers. I know that the church that meets at Malissa's house has been praying for you every time I visit there. The last couple of meetings with church planters we have prayed with anguish for you. God bless you.
-Jared

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. We race to the computer to see the news on Ira & your family. As we read it, it proves to us that God knew just the right Mom, Dad, & sister for Ira! You are always in our hearts and prayers. We love you. Kiss that sweet baby and his sister an extra time for all of us: their Christian family.
Love, Hugs, Prayers, & Blessings,
Dave, Karise, Keely, & Kinlie Gililland

6:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"My soul waits for the Lord, more than the watchmen for the morning, more than the watchmen for the morning." Psalm 130:5 All day long, I felt prompted to send you this verse. It didn't seem very encouraging, so I hesitated. Then I got the weird urge to look up the meaning of Ira's name. It means "watchman".
Love & blessings, Karise

7:05 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Dear Laura,

As I read the accounts and reports on Ira's condition over the last few days, I am consumed with memories of the song that you recorded while we were at ACU. The chorus has been echoing in my mind knowing that the storm winds are blowing for you right now.

"So when the rain falls hard and the storm winds come and you think it will never blow over,
trouble under your feet, thunder over your head and you find yourself running for cover,
Oh, God has another plan,
Remember God has another plan."

He has big plans for Ira and for your whole family. I know that your faith is in God's healing power.

I pray that he will give you peace. We are praying for you daily.

Love through Christ,

Rebecca (Thompson) Leggett

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's not an hour that goes by that we don't lift you up in prayer. I have often thought about the sweet grandparents who are there to walk through this with you. I know it is so hard for them to see you go through this and not be able to fix it. We find comfort in going to the ONE who is able to do more than we could ask or imagine. We love you Joe and Laura. Blessings to Sophia...God, breathe into Ira...
Love, Bob and Patti

11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home