Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Marathoning and Clubbing

I wish I had something concrete to report on Ira. I'm reminded of our first experience watching the New York City Marathon. We lived on 1st Ave our first year here in NYC. Part of the marathon course was a run up 1st Ave. I remember seeing all the real runners pass by. I was amazed at their endurance. I remember seeing all the regular folks and was amazed at their perseverance. Then I remember seeing, hours later, the walkers. I wasn't that amazed with them. What was the purpose? It was on the brink of darkness and here came the walkers.

Now I find myself and our family in the position of those walking a marathon. We aren't going anywhere fast.
------------------------------------------------------
Laura and I have joined a new club. Not willingly. It's purely circumstantial. I would recommend you not look into joining. It's the club of those who have dealt and are dealing with acutely and chronically sick children. When I see other fathers in the NICU waiting room, we give each other a nod. It's not the kind of nod you give to a friend across a large room. It's the kind of nod that says, "I know you are living this hell too and I feel you."

Being a part of this club does have its privileges. Laura and I were privileged to spend our Tuesday with Mike Cope. He came up to talk with us about how it is to live and do ministry in the midst of chaos. We stood at Ira's bedside and talked. Laura talked with Mike. I talked with Mike. He took us to dinner and we talked. We talked on the subway as we rode home together. It was a good Tuesday and good to be in the presence of someone who has traveled this road.

The funny thing is that Laura and I and Mike didn't really know each other before he came to see us yesterday. We, of course, new of his work and have heard him speak and he new of our work but we didn't really know each other.

You see, that is what it means to be a part of this club. You don't have to know much about another parent of the club to know what kind of stuff they are dealing with in life. The nod says it all.

5 Comments:

Blogger JBS said...

Sarah and I send a "nod" from Richardson. You are walking this road with courageous faithfulness and refreshing authenticity.Our prayers are with Ira and his fam.

John Siburt

11:16 AM  
Blogger Malaysian Debster said...

Joe, what a blessing it must be for you to be able to spend the day with Mike. I enjoyed his class at ACU. He always had such good things to say, especially whenever he wanted to encourage others.

You and Laura possess a kind of strength beyond earthly measure, the kind only given by the grace and will of God. Keep persevering through this marathon! You will make it. ~ Debbie & Josue Villarreal

12:01 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe and Laura, I am so glad that Mike came to spend the day with you. I know that Mike and Diane live faithfully and with so much grace but I also know that are authentic...they know how it feels to be where you are and they aren't going to gloss it over for you or for anyone else. God is a God of reality and not of masks...God is a part of our story even when our story is not what we would've chosen as our story.
grace and peace to you, Julie

12:30 PM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

Our family has had experience with being in the "club".

Ira continues to be in our prayers.

May God bless you and sustain you today.

Hugs, Serena

2:02 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

Well heres my marathon object lessons: This is my seconde year to sign up for the 1/2 marathon in Houston. And already, I've decided to quit. At least last year, I ran the 5k. This year, I decided early, to join a running club, surely that would help me right? At one of our first meetings, there was a woman there giving her story about finishing the marathon. Of course her day started before 4am and finished some 3hrs after the marathon was over, but guess what, she finished it. She walked it, but she finished the race. And I had the nerve to make fun of her, but she has done something I have not... finishing a race she started.
steve

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home