Sunday, December 25, 2005

what to say?

It's Christmas day. Laura and I are sitting in Ira's PICU room at Children's. At 11 PM on Christams Eve Ira stopped breathing. It was only for five seconds but his body froze and his eyes glazed over. He's now stable after having been intubated. He's on Nitric Oxide. He doesn't look himself. He's tested positive for an RSV (google it) which is not a good thing for a baby like Ira. We'll keep you updated.

UPDATE:

Laura and I came home tonight to open presents with Sophia and to get some rest. Laura's parents, Harvey and Kay, are keeping watch of a heavily sedated Ira. Sophia asked three different times where Ira is. In her two year old way she is expressing what Laura and I feel: we are not whole without Ira.

According to the doc, Ira is critically stable. The only way to treat the RSV Ira has is by giving support, hence the intubation and Nitric Oxide. In other words, it's up to Ira to beat this thing. Based upon his history, I think he has the strength to do so.

Laura's family, who's in town for X-mas, has been wonderful and helpful. It's almost 8 PM and I think Laura and I will be laying our heads down very soon.


UPDATE:

Monday morning. Ira's doing okay. He's on 50% oxygen on the vent and still on Nitric Oxide. He's completely knocked out and has been since he was admitted to the emergency room. He's on his stomach which is common for RSV patients as I guess it helps them breathe better. He's getting blood - nothing new for Ira - because his hemotocrite (sp?) is low. He's getting several antibiotics and is being sustained with fluids. His face is still swollen and puffy. Overall, hes doing much better today than yesterday. As the doc says, it's gonna be slow and steady from this point forward.

13 Comments:

Blogger hannah said...

We're praying a christmas blessing over you & baby Ira today...from StLouis- Brad, Sue, Hannah, Adam Stevens.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You are in my prayers this Christmas. God bless.

2:47 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

Christmas prayers from Warwick. Love you guys.

7:31 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Laura and Joe, praying for Ira. I know about RSV and I know the terror it presents to parents of babies with special medical problems. I am praying harder than ever. Know that you are surrounded by love...love of a great big God who sent his son to us as a baby. God understands. Look around...I am sure you are surrounded by angels.

7:34 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

Groaning in prayer for you-steve

10:43 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Not the Christmas Day you wished, hoped and prayed for, was it? I am so very sorry.

We all are praying for Ira.

11:46 PM  
Blogger The Root said...

As always, you guys and little Ira are in our prayers. :)
Jonathan and Holly

12:46 AM  
Blogger JKMeeks said...

Praying for you three and little Ira. My heart aches for you. May His grace sustain you.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Richie said...

Still praying for you guys and especially strength to endure what I cannot even began to imagine must be so exhausting. Richie

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Joe/Laura,
I've been taking night time walks to pray this week. I couldn't help but pray for Ira and feel so frustrated for you. Ira is in our prayers. Love, Jared

1:56 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

We are continually in prayer for you guys - especially our friend Ira - every day. God has given Ira the strength he needs, and I believe He will continue to do so. We love you all.

Brandon

9:44 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

MAke him well, Father.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I pray for the words which can be written to help heal your hearts.
I pray for Ira. God be with you.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home