Saturday, August 05, 2006

random-ness

A few notes:

Have you seen the trailer for the movie World Trade Center. Looks like it's going to be heavy. It doesn't help that the trailer includes the Coldplay song Fix You. Ugh. Talk about tearing at the heartstrings...
---------------------------------
My parents are in town this weekend. So we asked our night nurse to come a bit early so that Laura and I could get out. Nurse would hang with Ira and the parents would hang with Sophia.

So Laura and I headed out. We got on the A train. A couple of stops later this guy gets on. I lean over to Laura and say, "I know that guy but I'm not sure where I know him from."

Laura goes through the list: Church? No. Basketball league? No. The gym? No. Your office building? No.

I think about it. Then I figure it out.

That's. Steve. Nash.
--------------------------------
Do you like the new banner? After reading Laura's post, my friend Jason thought it an appropriate banner. I'll keep it up for a couple of months because it's a good reminder of a simple action that has the possibility of making a huge difference. Check out the link to the left - on my sidebar. It will give you more info on how you can become an agent of global change. Who turns down the possibility of wearing the title Agent of Global Change?
-------------------------------
Coming to NYC for a trip any time soon? Don't forget to come out to Brooklyn. Sure, come to see us but also because Brooklyn is fast becoming a destination unto itself.
-------------------------------
I'm reading A Long Way Down. It's about four people who decide to commit suicide. They just happen to decide to do it on New Year's Eve. They just happen to decide to jump off the same building. And so they meet each other on top of a building. They decide not to jump. One of the characters, Maureen, is a single mother of a chronically ill child named Matty. Matty is a "vegetable". Maureen has cared for him over 18 years.

Midway through the book, Maureen is trying to explain why she gets sad music; why she understands it. While listening to the depressing music, she says,
This is how I feel, every day, and people don't want to know that. They want to know that I'm feeling what Tom Jones makes you feel. Or that Australian girl who used to be in Neighbors. But I feel like this, and they won't play what I feel on the radio, because people that are sad don't fit in.

It's funny, because people think it's Matty that stops me fitting in. But Matty's not so bad. Hard work, but...it's the way Matty makes me feel that stops me fitting in. You get the weight of everything wrong. You have to guess all the time whether things are heavy or light, especially the things inside you, and you get it wrong, and it puts people off. I'm tired of it.
They, the three others who were going to commit suicide that night, decide to take Maureen on a beach vacation. Maureen's thoughts:
I wanted to tell Jess that I hadn't even seen an English beach since Matty left school...I didn't say anything, though. I may not know the weight of many things, but I could feel the weight of that one, so I kept it to myself. You know that things aren't going well for you when you can't even tell people the simplest fact about your life, just because they'll presume you're asking them to feel sorry for you. I suppose it's why you feel so far away from everyone, in the end; anything you can think of to tell them just ends up making them feel terrible.
-

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

So I say to Darren, "Wow. Joe didn't recognize Steve Nash." And Darren replies, "Well yah. Have you seen him lately? He's unrecognizable." So I google Steve Nash, and oh my heavenly days. I'm speechless.

(Hug Mom and Dad for me!)

10:50 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

Random responses:

1. The trailer for the WTC movie surprised me when I went to see another movie recently -- the sounds and images were more than I could bear. I had to leave the theater, covering my eyes and crying. I don't usually get hit emotionally like that, but I had such intense feelings of grief and fright and I wanted it to STOP. Same reaction when NPR recently played newly released tapes of firefighters' communication on 9/11.

2. I like the new banner -- reminds me of the way we are knit together into the fabric of the universe, how God is the one doing the Big Knitting, how all of us, including Ira, are knit together in the womb, how things sometimes come unraveled, how things can be knit back together...the "ministry of reconciliation" with which we have been entrusted, 2 Cor. 5....

3. I wondered, Joe, how you would received Mattie and her son in A Long Way Down. (Why won't Blogger accept italics?) Yes, Hornby is insightful to recognize that it is her isolation that is truly tragic, not her son's handicap. And so we are so encouraged that you and Laura continue to reach out, looking for ways to connect with each other and with us, those who are near and those who are far away. It doesn't have to be pity you receive from us. Let us be for you true companionship on the road you're walking, insofar as we are able. Problem is, we can't see the road; we haven't been given that map. So you'll have to keep calling out where you are so we can go along. Main point: just don't let yourself be left alone. Let us be present with you -- let us be the presence of God with you -- as you have, so graciously, so far.

peace -- Kate

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey the past 2 peeps who I've spoken to who had plans to visit NYC, I've referred them to the Bklyn Promenade and Peter Lugers.

Neither went.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I read that book recently and really enjoyed it...I hope you are as well.

7:20 PM  
Blogger holly said...

Brooklyn: The official hotel for the biggest publishing convention of the year, Book Expo America, is in Brooklyn for the first time ever this year. (Convention's still at the Javits--I'm all for the BK love, but doesn't that seem a bit unnecessarily cruel to park a bunch of bookstore owners from Kansas in Brooklyn and leave them to the vagaries of NYCity Transit?)

ALWD: I really have got to just buckle down and read this. Joe, you've just moved it to the top of the pile for me.

People Sightings: I went to meet J outside the theater and apparently (according to him) walked right past Jamie Lee Curtis, Martin Short (who's nextdoor to Ave. Q now) and Marc Shaiman (who wrote Hairspray and is theater-famous). And saw/recognized none of them.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Some journeys are meant to be walked alone, at times, and for a while. We don't want to hear that, either.

But we are never really alone. Sometimes it just feels that way.

As Lucado says, "He who also was once alone, understands."

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home