Monday, December 11, 2006

The Jinx?

Have you heard of the SI Jinx? SI (Sports Illustrated) is known to jinx players and teams once they are put on the cover of SI. In fact, some well known athletes have turned down the SI cover so as not to be jinxed before a big match or game. Sound crazy? Probably is but one has to wonder when SI puts a black cat on its cover with the title, "The Cover that No One Would Pose for: Is the SI Jinx for Real?"

Why bring this up? Because I'm starting to feel that my blog is a jinx. I do a video blog on Saturday morning showcasing Ira's talents and bragging about how well he's doing and he wakes from his afternoon nap throwing up. Hasn't stopped since.

Need more proof of a jinx? A year ago, I prematurely announced Ira's coming home from the NICU only to realize that we were still weeks away from his departure. It was then that I learned from the NICU nurses not to speak of *going home* because the babies, upon hearing the phrase, decide to stay longer.

So is there a brooklyn and beyond jinx? Maybe, maybe not. It certainly doesn't have the legs to stand beside the SI Jinx but I'll think twice before doing another vlog or writing another post in which I boast of Ira's prowess. ;)

-

6 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Joe, no jinx. Just life.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

I'm sorry Ira's sick, Joe. I'm with Julie...no jinx...just life. Though life deals really quirky hands sometimes.

THANK YOU for that video! At risk of sounding like a cheesey-mom-type...he is PRECIOUS! Seeing that boy - even better seeing you two interact - brought a grin to my face and tears to my eyes. What a gift!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Oh! I forgot to add that I would love to know what kind of structure the Huxtables lived in. I was actually just pondering that today while watching an episode of the Cosby Show during lunchtime/child's nap. I always thought they lived in a brownstone...at least that's the shot they showed from the street. But how is it that Cliff and Claire have TREES outside their bedroom window?!

3:10 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

so does that mean life is a big jinx? sometimes it feels that way doesn't it. no matter what i try, somehow it still gets jacked up.
so for me, i'll push forward in this season of hope and peace. hope that soon the Christ-child will appear in the clouds and take us all home, and the peace in knowing our home is secured in the foundation of HIS love. oh He couldn't come quick enough...

11:23 AM  
Blogger KentF said...

Continuing to pray Joe - thanks for the Vlog

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is John’s mom. John was also born with CDH and in the hospital for 13 months. Laura posted on our carepage (CP: johnrmurphy) and directed me to your blog. When I read your post about the jinx I just kept nodding my head and humming “um hum”. When we were in the hospital the “H” word was off limits. We were certain that if John heard us say it he would have a set back, I even blamed some of his set back on the “H” word. Eventually, I came to realize that he was just not ready to come “h” and it had nothing to do with the “H” word, HOME.

However, I can not seem to let go of those silly little superstitions that I picked up at the hospital. I am continuously knocking on wood at the mention of how well John is doing I refuse to post on John’s medical status unless I am sooooo certain and never mind those black cats – get them off my screen! Now that’s life! My life and the mythical jinx and superstitious rituals. I just can’t help it!

Your son is a beautiful little man. He sure does remind me of my Johnny. I hope he is feeling better soon!

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home