Wednesday, August 08, 2007

a softy

Laura and I have always been protective of our bed. In other words, our kids don't get to sleep with us. Sophia's tried and while we've let her in on a couple of occasions for morning snuggles we most often send her back to her bed. She gets it and rarely asks. But this morning we had a furious storm blow through Brooklyn. Furious. Loud, loud rain. Thunder. Lightening. All that was missing was west Texas sized hail.

Sophia lasted longer than I thought in her own room but eventually came to our room with her hands pressed against her ears in fear of the storm. I, being one who was deathly afraid of storms as a child and one who often went to mom and dad's room for comfort, immediately invited Sophia into our bed. We all laid there kicking each other, nudging each other and whacking each other as we attempted to get through the end of the storm. While none of us slept, we all felt very, very safe.

-

5 Comments:

Blogger Glo said...

Sometimes "life" kicks us, nudges us, and even whacks us....and I feel very, very, very safe, too, in the arms of my Father, His Son, and His Holy Spirit. Thank God for our earthly parents who provide safety and comfort and Thank God for God's safety and comfort, especially in the middle of "storms."

Now if only I could learn to lean on him and find safety and comfort in my little, teensy-weensy, daily thunderstorms....that I usually think I can handle all by myself!

"Oh, ye of little faith!"

I love you, Joe, and I love your love for your family, and I'm thankful I got to provide comfort for you in the past and pray that I'll be able to do the same in the future. But most of all, I love that you find comfort in your Creator.

Love,
Mom

11:21 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Ya'll been gone from TX and MO so long you forgot what tornado weather is like?!?

5:44 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

Wow. I read this earlier today, and then just now saw this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/09/nyregion/09wind.html

So glad you're all okay! Who knew? In BROOKLYN? ;)

1:23 AM  
Blogger Peggy N Texas said...

Ditto, what Stacey said. I was surprised to see a tornado in Brooklyn!?! Now that doesn't happen often. I remember as a kid running to the cellar with my doll and waiting to hear the rain. When the rain came, we knew the tornado had passed. This was in Lubbock, not far from Tahoka.

Thanks to Glo, also for her words of wisdom. I, too, try to take care of too many of the "little things" in my life. Gotta get better at that.

BTW, so glad to hear that Ira is weaning from his trach. How is he doing with that?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Funny... I always told kevin before john that I would never let our kids sleep in the bed with us. Obviously, because of John's condition I can't let him sleep in the bed with us. But, when we went to FL and made a stop in nashville on the way down we did ONCE get to sleep in the same bed. I loved it and I would keep doing it if he didn't have all that equipment and I knew he wouldn't fall out of the bed.

I guess my point is, It was always something I said I would never do but once i did it I wanted to keep doing it. I loved being so close to John and knowing he was so comfortable with me. I also miss it.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home