Friday, August 24, 2007

worried

No, no, no. Not about Ira or Sophia or anything like that. I'm worried for my cousin. While on our roadtrip Laura and I got to see several cousins but it was a conversation with one particular cousin that worried me.

My cousin, in almost every respect, is cool. She dresses well. She's up on all the latest trends. She laughs easily. She knows her pop culture. She's also smart as she's close to finishing her grad degree. So what's there to worry about?

Turns out that she and some friends took off for Vegas after they finished their undergraduate degrees. I asked her all about the trip and it was soon revealed that her favorite part of the trip was seeing Celine Dion in concert. WHAT? EXCUSE ME? Did you, my 23 year old cousin, just say that you and your friends spent money on a Celine Dion concert? Holy cow! She also admitted that there weren't many others her age at the concert. No-freakin'-duh! It was at this point that I began to worry. So I started quizzing her on music. Now I'm not the most up-to-date hipster when it comes to music but I listen to others enough to know what's out there. Sure enough, my cousin knows well the music scene. Just so happens that she also really likes Celine Dion. I'm not sure what to make of this. I should be worried, shouldn't I?

By the way, she and her sister, last I heard were, um, available. They're both beautiful, smart (both in grad school) and fun. You'll just have to overlook the Dion obsession.

-

10 Comments:

Blogger Casey. said...

Just as you can't understand the timelessness of Bette Midler, you obviously don't understand the power of Celine. There is nothing more powerful than 'It's All Coming Back to Me Now' complete with sound effects for the flashes of light. Spectacular. And the song from 'Titanic'...Hello!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I like her song, "I drove all night" - Sounds like a crazy obsessed girlfriends song... Always makes me laugh!

Hey, what happened with the singing gym guy?

2:53 PM  
Blogger Ally said...

Could you find out something for me? Did she pound her chest at any point during the performance?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Funny! I would have the same reaction if anyone I associated with went to a Celine Dion concert. UGH!!! You totally ruined your cousins reputation. Doesn't she know the saying "What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas."

3:08 PM  
Blogger juliegay said...

i only have one question. available for what? if i were one of the cousins mentioned, i'd want to know! ;)

4:38 PM  
Blogger jch said...

Casey - You crack me up.

Barbara - I'll get back to the singing gym guy.

Ally - I'll do what I can but after this post, my cousin might not be talking to me.

Carrie - She so should have kept this as one of those Vegas secrets!

Julie - I'm just trying to hook a sista up, ya feel? Do you think it would help if I said you look like Julia Styles because you totally do!

(BTW friends, Julie is not the Dion fan. It's her sister. And I'm guessing we won't be hearing from her on this subject.)

5:49 PM  
Blogger mad4books said...

Okay, I held my tongue as long as I could, but it simply must be said:

You do NOT get to criticize anyone's taste in music, no matter how questionable or misguided, if you would be caught dead singing Bon Jovi anywhere, anytime. Including the shower.

After your Karoake Confession, it crossed my mind to drop you from my Google Reader subscriptions, but Pure Ira Worship kept my mouse from deleting anybody...lol.

9:44 AM  
Blogger juliegay said...

something just occurred to me, and although i'm not the "chest-pounding" celine dion fan, i do feel obligated to defend my little sister.

i believe it was you, yes you, who at one time told me i wasn't cool unless i owned cassette tapes of vanilla ice and mc hammer. back in the day, maybe, but still... whose taste should we be worried about? haha!

12:46 PM  
Blogger jch said...

mad4books - Be careful with what you say. I've got several readers from Jersey and those folks don't appreciate others bad mouthing their state's alum. While the Sopranos was just a TV show, I've heard that there are still very *active* families over there.

And for the record, Julie Gay, I would have never told you to get cassettes of Ice and Hammer because I was so over cassettes by that time and was way into CDs. Furthermore, how dare you question the tastefulness of Ice and Hammer. How dare you!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Dana M. said...

Joe,
I'm so with you on this one. Who admits to attending a Celine Dion concert?!?! Now, in the interest of honesty, I was persuaded to own a song or two of hers in the past. . .but have long since repented of my ways. Oh, the horrible memories.

And I'd also like to add that Bon Jovi is complete karaoke perfection in my book.

Joe, I also have news. I've moved!
I just started working with Rochester Church of Christ in Michigan. The frozen north has lured me away from my southern roots. Winter should be interesting!

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home