Tuesday, April 12, 2005

April 20. That will be Ira's birthday. They moved the induction up a week due to Laura's high fluid level. She gained another six cm of fluid and as of last Friday was at a 44. Again, 25 is the norm for end of the term pregnancies. Laura's big, uncomfortable, short on breath and walking pretty slowly these days.

Laura's mom comes on Thursday, my parents come on Saturday, Laura's dad comes in early next week along with Laura's brother and my Texas sister -- as opposed to my Long Island sister who is already nearby. We can't wait to get our arms around our family and be comforted by them.

My mom called yesterday and told me how badly she wanted to fix this problem for me. That's what she did for me as a kid. She reminded me of the time when I told her I needed some brownies for a class project the night before they were needed. She stayed up all night and made brownies from scratch. She reminded me of all the assignments she patiently helped me on that were due the next day. In general, my mom was queen at saving my butt in hard situations (hey, I'm the youngest, we're spoiled like that). She sat on the phone and wept that she was unable to fix this problem as she has done so many times before. She expressed her longing to make it all okay and right.

I wish she could.

----------------------------------------------

On another note, we are not the only ones hurting. You know that well because you are surrounded by people who are hurting. There is a very sweet family in St. Louis whose dad was diagnosed with cancer this past week. Mike is the dad of four kids and needs our prayers. Friends are witnessing the separation of their parents after years of marriage. Another couple in our church found out their unborn baby also has developmental issues. And a friend of mine who spent Christmas with our family has relapsed into drugs and is on the verge of being evicted. This world can be cruel, hard and unkind. God hear our prayers.

3 Comments:

Blogger TKP said...

Joe,
Today I went through a lot of old posts and my heart breaks for you and everything with Ira. Many prayers are being lifted up and I wish I could express my concern and love for you guys in a better way. Know that Ira is being surrounded by constant prayer. And I'm praying for rest and peace for you and Laura.

11:19 PM  
Blogger TKP said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:19 PM  
Blogger newton dominey said...

i found your blog through those of tkp and chad smith. curiosity got the best of me today and i spent quite a while reflecting on your conversation with your mother. it left me very sad and i shared my thoughts through my own blog entry today:

http://newtondominey.blogspot.com/2005/04/today-wins.html

may God be with you and your family in the coming days.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home