Thursday, May 26, 2005

"How are you and Laura doing?"

Do you really want to know? I mean, I'm sure you care and you really are concerned for us but what would you do if we told you the truth? How comfortable or uncomfortable would you be with the truth? How accepting or condemning would you be if we revealed our truest selves/feelings?

Wouldn't you rather us give you a "fine" or "okay" or a "hanging in there" kind of answer and leave it at that? Wouldn't you feel good if we quoted some feel good scripture like "we haven't been given any more than we can handle"?

Thing is, sometimes the only answer Laura and I can muster is a simple "fine" or "okay" but there are times when we have so much to say but we find it better to be somebody else for your sake.

The Dave Matthews Band says it best in their song So Much to Say:

I say my hell is the closet I'm stuck inside
can't see the light
and my heaven is a nice house in the sky
I got central heating and I'm alright
yeah yeah yeah can't see the light
keep it locked up inside don't talk about it
t-t-talk about the weather
yeah yeah yeah
open up my head and let me out little baby
'Cos here we have been standing for a long long time
can't see the light
treading trodden trails for a long long time,
time, time, time, time, time, time

I find sometimes it's easy to be myself
sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else

I see you young and soft oh little baby
little feet, little feet, little hands little baby
one year of crying and the words creep up inside
creep into your mind yeah
so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say
so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say
'Cos here we have been standing for a long long time
can't see the light
treading trodden trails for a long long time...........

I find sometimes it's easy to be myself
sometimes I find it's better to be somebody else

so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say ohh
so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say
little baby ahh
so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say
little feet little hands little baby
so much to say, so much to say, so much to say, so much to say

open up my head and let me out little baby


I've sat by Ira's bed attempting to come up with different greetings but they all fall short of the standard "how are you doing?" greeting. So please don't stop asking because Laura and I choose to believe it is a real sign of your concern. Just know that we have so much to say but find it easier, at times, to be somebody else.

8 Comments:

Blogger newton dominey said...

you could always go with "did you watch the (insert sports team here) game last nite?"

i think anyone who has ever spent time in the pit of despair can empathize with you on walking the line between honesty and dumping your guts on someone. anytime i wonder where that line is i have to tell myself that the inquirer means well but probably can't "handle the truth" to abuse an overused quote.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Byron said...

I have been in some low spots in life. Some one will come up and ask "how are you doing?". It has been fun at times to tell them the truth. "Crappy! How are You?" The reaction you get is always interesting.

We can't understand how you are doing, enduring suffering, or how you are living moment to moment. We pray for you.

I'll ask how you are doing in 15 or 16 years, when Ira and Levi are skipping school, roaming the streets of N.Y.

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can be whoever you want or need to be. Our prayers will still be lifted, our thoughts will still be with you, and our concern and care remain constant.

Thank you for being so candid in sharing your feelings. Blessings to you today.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Just speaking for myself here...I want to hear it all...the joy, the fear, the anger...I think we often connect with others on a deep and rare spiritual level if both parties are willing to be brutally honest about their feelings. Thanks for your candor, Joe and Laura.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God knows the "you" that you are and He has you all in the palm of His hands. Kaki

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whenever you want to talk...whatever you want to say...or not say...whatever your feelings...or your numbness...or your anger or your fatigue...or your joy or your rage or your sorrow or your frustration...it just is...and if someone asks how are you...and you want to answer...the only ownership you have is for yourself...not for the person who asked or their reactions...gently permit yourself that...gently give yourself permission to just BE...

written with compassion and caring and gratitude that you have permitted us a window to your heart and soul.

our prayers continue...may you feel those prayers...

dm

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Ira!

Joe, your candidness is so refreshing for all of us in the world who hate "fine" anyway. Those of us who like depth and originality and raw emotion - because it helps us actually know someone, in an authentic way - and because your words of truth will only help the rest of us some other time in life, when we have to face our own lows.

As Edie Brickell, another fabulous lyric-writer, once paralleled in a great song:

"Are you in bad mood?
Don't you wanna talk about it?
Did I say somethin' rude?
You don't have to cry about it.
Aren't you feelin' okay?
Would you like a little company?
Or did you have a bad day?
Are you mad at me? -- let it show
Don't tell me nothing -- I don't wanna know
There's nothing I hate more than nothing
Nothing keeps me up at night
I toss & turn over nothing
Nothing could cause a great BIG fight
Hey -- what's the matter?
Don't tell me nothing."

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a truth and a tragedy all in one primarily built by the society we've been brought up in. I sometimes wonder what feelings, thoughts, reactions, and actions that same question of "how are you doing" produced in the time of the believers at Pentecost who gave to each other so freely. Just a thought that's roamed around in my head when times have been bumpier for my own path.

Love you guys, respect your perseverence, and am thankful for your clarity of mind to see bigger pictures at work and for your candor to teach through your own struggles.

God + you guys = Amazing

TStack

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home