Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Ira finally got his PICC line. Dr. Wung started working on Ira around 6 PM tonight. It took the good doc three hours to get the PICC line. It's on the left side of Ira's head. Because of its placement Ira now has a mohawk. Literally. I tried to tell Ira that mohawks went out in the '80s but it didn't change the fact that Ira looks like a white version of Mr. T.

When I went in at 9 PM to see Ira he suddenly woke up. I was able to sit at his bedside as he stared into my eyes. I told him all about Yankee baseball (more on that in a minute), sang to him and told him stories about Sophia.

At one point I began praying for him. It was the "Healing Power of Jesus Christ" prayer that I mentioned in my April 20 post. It was so serious a moment and Ira was staring intensely into my eyes. As soon as I said the last word, Ira let out a string of farts. (sorry, grandmom, for saying “farts”) I just laughed. It's the first time I've laughed at his bedside. I've smiled but never laughed.

He didn't want to go to sleep but finally did after an hour.
-----------------------------
I've been asked about Baby Ava and Baby Lily. You might remember that Baby Ava was born two days after Ira and had a left-sided CDH like Ira's. Baby Ava went home with her parents on Tuesday. She is doing extremely well. But still keep them in your prayers as they adjust to life at home. Baby Lily bounced back from her crash. The last I talked with Lily's mom Lily was back on track with the feeding, etc. She is off the ventilator and nitric oxide and back on the CPAP. (By the way, Dr. Wung is known as the "Father" of the CPAP as he has helped refine the machine and the parts that go with it.) Lily is doing well these days. Keep Lily's mom in your prayers as she is exhausted, I'm sure.
-----------------------------
There is question as to my Yankee allegiance. How can a West Texas boy be a Yankee fan? Blame my dad. He saw Mantle hit a homerun, Yogi catch and Whitey Ford pitch when he attended a Yankee game on his first marriage anniversary. He passed on his love of Yankee baseball to me. I started following the Yankees in the '80s as I watched Donnie Baseball, Dave Winfield and Ricky Henderson mix it up. Some would argue with me but there is no better place to watch baseball than in Yankee Stadium. I have yet to make a game this season but am dying to take Sophia soon. Even as I type the Yankee/Mariner game is on in the background and it looks like the Yanks are on to their eleventh victory in a row. [The Yanks lost late in the game due to some costly errors. But what do you expect from a team whose been on the road for the past week and a half? They are back in the Big Apple this weekend. I still claim that we're back, baby!]

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,
What better gift for a son to give his father than a chorus of gas!! Our two year old Makenzie says "You have a frog in your bottom!" Well, bring on the frogs, Ira!
Hoping for a great day tomorrow. To God be the Glory.

12:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, you and Laura just continue to amaze me. Can't tell you enough times how much your blog means to each of us who are checking it several times daily and always praying for news like tonight. Thank God for doctors like Dr. Wong! And thank God for parents like you and Laura. We love you very much. Aunt Jackie

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Just wanting to let you know that I am praying for Ira. :) I am glad he made you laugh today.

Hebrews 11: 1
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen

I believe God for Ira's healing. May He continue to watch over you and your family!

Agape,
A sister-in-Christ from Singapore

12:33 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

I seriously think God gave us gas just to break wind, I mean, tension. So glad you experienced the joy of laughing.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Glo said...

Ira, you just keep on tootin', Sweet Boy! (I just can't bring myself to say the "F" word!) I love you and your mom and dad and sister so much and am praying for each of you without ceasing. May God's Holy Spirit hold each of you tight with his loving arms so that you feel peace in the midst of this situation! God is soooooooo good and has blessed our family with so many godly people who just keep lifting us up and holding us tight. Thank you, Lord, for those blessings. And please give Joe, Laura, Sophia, and Ira a good day.
Love,
Gram/Mom/Glo

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great story and the best occasion for the f-word I can remember. I like to think of Ira rippin' one in his college dorm room someday. Praying for him and the whole family.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today is our son's 3rd birthday and we said a special prayer this morning that you all will celebrate many birthdays to come with your beautiful son!

Beth and Max

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe-

This morning as I read your post, I was overjoyed and a huge smile came over my face. I, too, laughed out loud as you described Ira's entry into boyhood with his LBD present to his Daddy.

Thanks for sharing this milestone with all of us. Your boys from back home in Texas applaud both of you on this momentous occassion.

All kidding aside... It's great to hear he finally has his PICC line in place. Don't worry about the Mohawk-my hair grew back after shaving a T on my head at TAMU (recall Darin and I were letterheads our Freshman year for Hotard).

And, thanks for the Yankees' explanation... I've been silently wondering that for some time now.

Love you bro,

TStack

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go Ira. Your cousins Matt & Tyler are proud of you. We love you guys and pray for all of you every day.
David, Brenda, Matt & Tyler

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is awesome to check this BLOG (especially for those of us who had NO clue what a BLOG was prior to Baby Ira!) and just hear/see/feel God's goodness and love!! WOW!! One more time I will say thanks to Joe and Laura for being so transparent and so vulnerable and so faithful and so brave! Most of all thanks for keeping us updated and allowing those who have never met you to be part of your family! That takes lots of emotional energy especially when you are already on OVERLOAD!

Your posting today was at once both funny and tender!! :-) oh, Ira...so glad your bodily functions are working....:-) Thank your daddy for letting us look into your eyes through his. Ira you and your family are loved and continue to be lifted in prayer!!

GO ASTROS!!!! DM Beaumont, TX

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ira, you little "stinker"! I'll bet your great-grandfather and namesake was smiling today when you "let one go" in front of your Dad. Keep 'em coming little man!

SL

11:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of little boys! I laughed out loud here too, just reading about it. It's so typical! LOL!

Have you ever heard this song? I'm singing it, and probably will be all day, thanks to Baby Ira!

"The Lord loves a laughin' man....laughing is part of His heavenly plan, so go on and laugh whenever you can! The Lord loves a laughin' man."

Praise God for the little things, for someday we'll look back and realize that the little things were the BIG things after all! May God continue to heap blessings on you in little ways.

Love from Fort Worth,
Stacy

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe & Laura,
We attended our first NICU reunion this past Saturday. While we did not find any of Elijah's nurses there, it was wonderful to see the little babies all grown up and reflect on how blessed we are that Elijah is doing so well today and just turned one year old! I prayed while I was there that y'all would have many NICU reunions with Ira. He was all I could think about the whole time. We're so glad to hear that he's doing so well lately. He is always in our prayers.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home