Sunday, May 15, 2005

Nice scar, huh?


chillin' 2

I thought I would post this picture so that you could get a good look at that ab scar and neck scar. Pretty mean looking, huh? Did you know Ira's heart is on the right side of his chest? His chest is a little lopsided and always will be due to this abnormality.

Ira had a good night. During the night they started feeding Ira Laura's milk (yep, she's been pumping this entire time...even in the middle of the night) via a tube through the nose that goes directly to his stomach. It's only a small bit (1 cc/hour) but he's tolerating it which is yet another good sign. Laura reported to me that Ira experienced his first tummy time this morning and didn't mind it. This too is good. It's been a good couple of days for us.
-----------------------
Laura's mom is leaving tomorrow, Monday, so Laura and I decided to use our last opportunity of free, convenient babysitting and went to a movie the other night. We wanted to lose ourselves in some other person's story and free our minds for a bit. What we needed was a nice, silly, entertaining flick.

So don't ask me what I was thinking when I pushed that we go see CRASH. The first indication that this movie was neither nice, silly nor entertaining should have been the title itself. The second indicator should have been the first line of the synopsis I came across which began as follows: "this controversial drama..." HELLO!

We were tense the entire time. The movie doesn't give you, the moviegoer, a break. It challenges your perception of race relations and then does it again and again and again. It probably wasn't what we needed but it did provide us with good conversation on our walk home and I haven't been able to get some of the images or issues out of my head since. It's a must see for those concerned about God's people coming together. But don't expect something nice, silly or entertaining.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Laura,
I loved the beautiful pictures from yesterday - what a beautiful mother with a beautiful son! You both looked so good - so happy. I am so glad. I'm so thankful that Ira had two good days and that his little tummy is starting to get some food in it. Laura, you are incredible to have continued the pumping through all you've been through these past few weeks! How great that you got time to yourselves last night. We continue praying and praying for all of you and Ira esp. We wish we could be there with you - Love, K and K

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the pics of your precious family. Chloe kept saying. "Mom, are you sad?" as I tearfully looked at the new pictures of Ira. I just kept saying, "No, I'm so happy...isn't Ira beautiful?!!!" He is a gem.

C kept wanting to see Sophia "open her tummy" (the picture of Sophia raising L's shirt to look at her pregnant tummy). :) Funny.

Love you guys so much! Praise God for the good days lately. PRAISE GOD!!!!!!!!!
Denise

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing to see Ira in his Mommy's arms! The joy of it was so evident in the pictures. A major victory for everyone! He looks so precious. Laura, I'm so proud of you for pumping - that must be a roller coaster in and of itself. So much work. Good job, mama. Can't wait to hear more - we are believing for more steps forward! Love you,
Keith and Jen

7:22 PM  
Blogger Jared said...

Thanks for posting pics. It helps us feel closer in a weird sort of way. Soooo glad to hear good reports.
Last night we were gathered around a table in the Bronx for Communion and prayer. We were having a time of open prayer, and in the midst of everyone praying, a 10 year old member of the group said, "What about baby Ira?" (We had previously prayed for him the last time this girl was among us 2 weeks ago.)
We did pray for him and continue to still.
-JL

8:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Noah's grandmother and just wanted you to know that we are praying for Ira and praising God for the progress he makes. He is beautiful and I know that he has already touched lives. We continue to ask God to give you the strength and the peace you need to face each day.

9:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so good to see these pics and hear this update. Thanks for sharing such precious moments with us. I have prayed for you everyday since learning of your recent extreme life changes, and it is a blessing to see even these small changes in Ira's little life so far.

I wish that I had more succinct words for the feelings I want to convey. You are a family blessed with amazing, indescribable strength right now. There is a gift in that, even if it doesn't feel like a gift for the time being. Know you are loved, thought of often and constantly laid on His throne for anointing, strengthening and comforting.

Much love,
Dana M.

11:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Laura,

I'm sure that is was Heaven for Ira as well being held by his Mommy. In the picture you can see how focused in he is on you Laura. He knows your touch, your scent and your voice. There is a brightness in his eyes and a wisdom that I wouldn't expect for one so young. Laura, I applaud you for pumping and giving him the very best thing.

When our dog was hit by a car and killed in Korea we were devastated and like you went to a movie to escape for a few hours. The only movie showing in English was this ghost story with Nicole Kidman. We didn't leave any cheered up but I suppose it helped a bit to leave our pain momentarily.

Thanks for continuing to post. It's great to know how to specifically lift Ira and all of you up...

Love,
Brielle Gage

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was away from the computer for several days, but continued to pray for you guys.... how wonderful to come home to such happy news! My heart is full as I rejoice with you. God is good all the time. ALL the time, God is GOOD!

~Stacy Kocur

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our cup is filled to overflowing as we hear the good news of Ira. A joy that can only be known on the other side of long suffering. It is the kind of joy that is found in holding your little one for ten minutes and believing that this surely must be what Heaven feels like. We pray that our Lord continue to make Himself more and more known to you. Ira is such a sweet gift from above... Thank you for sharing him with us. We love you... the Roy's

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe & Laura- thank you for sharing this picture and your journey with us. Ira is constantly in our prayers.
We too saw CRASH...you are right- it is a very intense movie, but at the very least I am SURE it took over your thoughts for a while and helped you to get away from the last few weeks, offered some kind of escape?
God Bless you.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe & Laura,

Hallelujah!!! I was thrilled to 'hear' of Ira's progress when I logged on this morning. I have been praying all weekend. Praise the Lord.
The pictures of Ira with his mommy were just beautiful. My eyes filled with tears. I pray that there will be many more of those cuddling moments - and soon! And that soon he won't be connected to any machines! Thanks so much for updating us.

Lisa G. - Madison, AL

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home