Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Every day I update Ira on the state of the Yankees Nation. Today I'll be glad to tell him that the Yankees won their tenth straight game behind a Pavano complete shutout game. The swagger is back!

If you read my last post you know that Ira lost his PICC line on Sunday. Two resident fellows attempted for three hours to put another PICC in Ira that evening to no avail. Ira was not happy about it, was poked all over and had a hard Sunday night and Monday morning. Another resident fellow attempted on Monday to insert the PICC line, again, with no success. And yet another poke and once again, Ira was not happy about it. And when Ira is not happy he de-sats (saturation levels come down) and keeps us all very busy.

He finally calmed down late Monday night and started to rest easy. I arrived at the hospital at lunch on Tuesday. Ira had a new nurse who immediately told me that a resident fellow would be coming by to shave Ira's hair in order to insert a PICC line in his head. I immediately balked. It was the first time I got angry with the hospital staff. I did not want another resident fellow fresh out of med school attempting this procedure with my son again. I wanted Dr. Wung, the more experienced Dr., to come do it. It was evident that I was not happy about the situation as I demanded to speak with the neonatologist. The nurse was taken aback by my insistence and hesitantly said, "I'll get the doctor for you but don't be unreasonable."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Laura and I have been incredibly reasonable throughout the past four weeks. We haven't complained or balked or questioned decisions once. Could she not see that Ira had been stuck at least 10 times by these resident fellows? I was fuming.

I didn't wait for her to call the neonatologist. I went and found him and explained the situation. He said, "sure, let's wait until Dr. Wung gets back into town and let him do it." It was that easy. I appreciated his understanding.

So Ira continued to rest on Tuesday afternoon recovering from Sunday night's and Monday's disasters. The image of the disciples trying to heal the boy as Jesus was being transfigured came into mind the past couple of days. The disciples were unable to make it happen. Finally Jesus came down from the mountain, shoved the disciples aside and healed the boy.

Now I'm not saying Dr. Wung is Jesus but dang, the doc is amazing.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

(1) Good to hear you still have your sense of humor (The doctor=Jesus);

(2) How can you root for the Yankees, being from the Republic of Texas?

Blessings,

Leroy

8:12 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Way to be assertive, Joe. We are still praying for your little fighter of a boy...

8:37 AM  
Blogger Byron said...

Joe - they are the doctors, but he is YOUR son. God, give Joe wisdom to trust his heart and to trust the doctors.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe- Speaking as a minister's wife- I appreciate your honesty and showing that ministers have real emotions. I think it is one of the greatest evangelistic tools we have- to be real. We (and our church family) continue to pray for Ira.
In Christ,
Lisa C.

10:23 AM  
Blogger sirEller said...

the movie that comes to mind, that helps me put a physical picture to the rage you wanted to show is NINE MONTHS, I think, when Tom Arnold tackles the giant "purple dinosaur".
Ira, I'm standing by your bed now, holding your finger, and asking God to be your strength. It was good to see you in your mommys arms. Blakely prays for you every chance she gets, to make you better so you can go home with your mom and dad. Stay strong my friend. We're here with you.
-ellers

11:31 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe, you absolutely did the right thing. I am a nurse and sometimes patients have to stand up for themselves. Little Ira can't tell them to stop and go find the doctor who is good at this but you can and you did...I am so glad that you did. You were in no way being unreasonable. Keep fighting for Ira...I know you will.
grace, Julie

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe & Laura: We don't have any wise, sage counsel but we do want you to know that over the miles you have the best we have -- our prayers. The Lord is near and I pray that His peace covers you two and Ira. Love, Ronnie & Martha

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Laura,

I am NOT a nurse, but I still think you were very reasonable! :-)
Julie said all I was thinking!

Beverly McCallon

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I am hearing that Ira is staying strong.I am continuing to pray for Ira everyday.That little man can do it. I hpe that you and Laura is doing great.
Frankie Torres

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JOE,LAURA,&SOPHIA,
WE HAVE ENJOYED IN SEEING THE PICS OF YOUR FINE FAMILY. YOU ARE A GOOD LOOKING FAMILY. WE ARE PRAYING HARD FOR IRA AND ALL. I USE TO HAVE TO STICK BABIES BEING A MED ASSIST, IF I COULD NOT HIT IT THE FIRST TIME I MAY NOT TRY AGAIN UNLESS I HAD NO CHOICE, BUT THE 2ND TIME I GOT SOMEONE MORE EXPERIENCED.
HANG IN THERE AND WATCH OUT FOR HIM, BECAUSE HE IS A TOUGH LITTLE GUY.
GOD BLESS....

JANET,CURTIS &CODY HARVICK

8:48 PM  
Blogger samwise said...

keep following your heart on this stuff! it is good...and will not fail you...because it's been restored. praying that you all stay strong. blessings!

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

You had every right to be angry in not wanting Ira to be stuck again. When we were in St. Louis Children's for one of Caroline's surgeries, we had watched her get stuck over and over and often had to help hold her down while the resident searched for a vein. We finally blew too and demanded from then on that a certain staff member always be called for this,i.e., we learned who was really good at it. Bravo to you for protecting your son and speaking up!!!!!! Each staff member has a different gift. You knew who would be successful! Ira's story is taking me back to so many experiences at St. Louis Childrens Hospital! Hang on! Good days are coming! And look how far he has already come!

Elaine

1:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home