Tuesday, August 02, 2005

(From Laura)

Musings of a NICU mommy

1) My son has clothes he is outgrowing - some of which I’ve never seen adorn his body but have only folded in the laundry.

2) My new community of friends consists of Tyisha and Tracy at the front desk along with the 20 or so nurses I know on a first name basis.

3) My daughter now has a “chicken ‘mugget’ and chocolate milk” dance she does at the mere suggestion of going to Wendy’s across the street from the hospital. (Ok, the frosties are pretty good but how many #6 meal deals can one mother eat?)

4) When a nurse directs the phrase “got milk?” in my direction it takes on a whole new meaning.

5) Everyday I must pass mothers with their new babies waiting to go home. I want to scream at them and remind them how lucky they are…but I pass by quietly instead. To some, I suppose I am lucky. My boy is still alive.

6) Is it really August already? I know its hot outside but other than that there are none of the other usual signs of summer. Everyday looks pretty much the same. Thank you God (and Joe’s family) for the trip to Isla Mujeres back in February!

7) Although I hate saying goodbye to my son everyday, I am thankful for the quality of care he is receiving when his parents are not around! Thank you Janet, Secora, Sandra, Pat and so many more!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(de)Laura.......
I love you.
ca

11:14 PM  
Blogger Chel said...

When our daughter was in the NICU, I both adored and disliked the nurses who cared for her. I deeply appreciated that they were caring for her in such a tender, capable way, but I also resented that it was them getting to care for her and respond to her cries and not me.

You and your family are an inspiration to many as you walk this path with such dignity.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

Thanks, Laura, as always, for opening the door to your heart just a crack so we can peek in and see how you're doing. Unflinching as always, I see.

We scan these posts for the tiniest hints about Ira and his day-to-day condition. I read "He's outgrowing his clothes" and I jump up and down! He's growing! Last I heard about that, docs/nurses were concerned about slow weight gain. I have no idea if this is still a specific concern (and what difference would it make if I did know?), but I'm saying it to illustrate a larger point: that we think about you all day and night and pray many, many times a day that Ira will grow into the little boy that your family needs so much. We love you guys. And miss you.

peace -- Katie

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're praying for you, Ira, Sophia, and Joe. We feel fortunate for your frienship.

Regina

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Laura. I love you so much. Your family has been heavy on my heart these past few days. I hope Ira is improving.

Love, Kaley

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, can't help but think of the admonition in Titus 2 where we are told to "wisely train the younger women"--makes me feel quite inadequate when I think of how very much I have learned from you over the past few months. Love you so very much--love you for being the wife and mother you are; love you for the example you have been to my daughters. While we pray many times a day for Ira, I hope you know that you and Joe and Sophia are part of those prayers. Love you, Aunt Jackie

10:38 PM  
Blogger Brittyne Fitzgerald said...

Laura, I read your blog all the time and never post a comment. I guess ultimately I don't know what to say except that we are praying for you all. I try to imagine little baby Abigail in Ira's condition and us in your places...and I can't. I pray for God's energy and strength. I pray for glimpses of joy and laughter. I pray for quiet moments of peaceful rest. Brittyne Fitzgerald

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I am among the countless strangers who read your and Joe's posts every week for updates on a very special child and family I probably will never meet. As a Christian mother of a 6-month-old son, I draw so much from reading about your family--lessons on faith and humility, tenacity and tenderness, gratitude and hope. I share Andrea Sue's belief that Ira will improve and go home with you, and I pray God gives you the strength to wait until that day.

Dawn (newnahlen@yahoo.com)

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home