Tuesday, August 08, 2006

god's grace

We had been in the PICU for four months. And now Ira was home. Laura and I were attempting to nail down our morning routine with Ira. We were attempting to learn what roles each of us would play - who would give the bath in the sink? who would change the sheets? who would get his food ready? who would lay out our trach-changing equipment? who would give the meds? etc...

And then it happened. One morning, I snapped at Laura because she wasn't changing Ira's trach ties the way I thought they should be changed. She stopped what she was doing, looked me in the eyes and said, "Joe, we can't afford to be on each other's case. The weight of life is too much as it is, we have to be in this together." From that moment on, Laura and I have - for the most part - been in this together.

In fact, my testimony is that Laura and I have never been closer; have never been stronger for each other; have never been more of a team than we are right now. My testimony is that I've never loved Laura like I do now.

Laura and I have searched high and low looking for God over the past year. God's seemed far off. In fact, God's seemed absent. But one thing is for sure, God's grace has covered our marriage; has made it stronger, more secure; has concretized the ground upon which we stand. And for this we are thankful.

-

3 Comments:

Blogger shell said...

Thank you for that testimony. You have blessed my life today!

3:38 PM  
Blogger amg said...

Amen...

ca

9:22 AM  
Blogger Sandi said...

Wow. While you may feel like God is far away, He is revealing Himself through your family and your commitment to each other. I have heard of so many families who fell apart having gone through hard sicknesses or deaths of their children, but praise God that He has given you even more strength in your marriage and even more love for each other because of what you have gone through. I am thankful for your testimony and your honesty.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home