Monday, November 13, 2006

love for another woman

I have a confession: I love another woman. But not just any woman, a Brazilian woman who has burst into my world and made my life easier.

So I'm being a little facetious. Thing is, my whole family loves this other woman. Mada, that's the short version of her name, is one of Ira's nurses. Once upon a time, Mada was a regular with our family. Then Ira went back into the hospital for a long stay. And now that Ira is home again, Mada is Ira's Sunday nurse.

The minute Mada walks through the door on Sundays, I know that I don't have to worry about Ira. I don't worry that he'll be ignored. I don't have to wonder whether Ira will get his meds at the appropriate time or not. I don't worry about the administration of his nebulizer treatments. I don't worry that he won't be loved on. Mada does all this...and more.

When we come home from church (our services are in the evening) Mada has usually created some new device for Ira to make life easier for him. The apartment is generally a mess which tells us that Mada and Ira have been playing non-stop. As soon as Ira goes down, Mada starts cleaning. Not just his toys but also the dishes in the sink. That's going the extra mile!

The picture below sums Mada up perfectly. I kept begging Mada to look at the camera. She couldn't. She was focused on her baby.


I wonder what the world would look like if we all took our jobs as seriously as Mada does? I wonder how things might be different if we all went that extra mile in the work we do as Mada does? Mada comes to our home to help us take care of Ira and I'm grateful for that. But she's doing so much more: she's helping me see what it means to serve with a grateful heart.

-

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

Thank you Mada, for being a blessing to the Hays family.

12:50 PM  
Blogger julie said...

I love, love, love that picture. I can see that Mada loves Ira and that Sophia loves Mada also. God knew that you needed her.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

I have just one question - what happened to Ira's stylin' mohawk??? :-)

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adorable smile your Ira has!!

2:34 PM  
Blogger mad4books said...

God bless you, Mada!

And I'm also hoping He gives me a Heavenly mansion down the (golden) street from yours... :-)

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home