Monday, December 18, 2006

ARGH!

I went into the city today (those of us living in the outer burroughs consider Manhattan "the city") to have lunch with the Manhattan church staff. After lunch, I headed home.

I took the 4 train at 86th Street. I switched over to the 6 train at 14th Street and two stops later got off to catch the F train into Brooklyn. The F train was moving slowly. Very slowly. I knew something was up. Sure enough, they made us all get off the train at East Broadway. That F train disappeared. After waiting for what seemed like forever but what was really about 20 minutes an announcement was made that there would be no F trains going into Brooklyn due to a "situation" at one of the stations there.

After a collective moan from those of us stranded the announcement went on to give directions as to how we could get into Brooklyn via buses - that's right, not a bus but buses. I headed up to catch a cab as I was running late to pick up Sophia from her school. I opened my wallet to find no cash inside. Then I started to look around. I was in Chinatown. I went into a store and asked for the nearest Chase bank. The man behind the counter shook his head to communicate that he didn't understand my question. I refrained from speaking louder and slower (a typical American thing to do in trying to communicate with someone who doesn't speak English), thanked the man and continued on my journey.

In looking for a Chase bank I noticed there were no cabs around. Now I had two questions: Where is the nearest Chase bank and where should I go to catch a cab? I realized the odds of finding someone who could help me with either question were not in my favor.

I finally found a bank with an ATM. At least I think it was a bank. Couldn't read the sign. I just know it had the appearance of a bank. After getting some money, I headed east. I started seeing some cabs and was able to coax one of them into going over the bridge into Brooklyn.

At first I was frustrated about the whole F train dilemma and the inconvenience it was causing in my life. But it was good for me to wander around Chinatown looking for a bank and a cab as I was reminded of how grand and diverse and beautiful this world is. It's real easy for me to be so focused on what's going on in my life that I fail to realize that there's so much more going on.

I'm just wondering if there was a way to be reminded of that without having the F train shut down? :)

-

6 Comments:

Blogger Peggy N Texas said...

In referencing your last blog before this one, be sure to followup on what happened with the F train. Those of us who use our cars to travel the short distances in town vicariously live to find out what happens in "the big city".

I visited New York once with my in-laws and rode the subway and did a lot of walking. Interesting place, but certainly a different pace of lifestyle. Glad you guys enjoy it!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our most troubled times are responsible for teaching us lessons in life and promoting growth.
I personally think everything happens for a reason. One day when I was driving home from the hospital I realized what a beautiful summer day it was. I drove down a dirty alley (In Chicago, that is common) and at the end of the block was a beautiful tree with white flowers hanging off it. Just as I got to the end of the alley and drove past the tree I could smell the flowers. I remember that day I wrote in my carepages that I "stopped to smell the flowers today". I was so busy living my life back and forth to the hospital that I never took the time to realize that there is so much more going on right in front of me. I think after that I decided to take Sundays off from the hospital and spend some time with friends and family. However, I sent my husband down on Sundays, I just couldn't leave him alone.

My point being, sometimes we don't take the time to smell the roses until something happens to make us.

3:33 PM  
Blogger jch said...

Hey Peg, I have no idea what was going on that caused the F train to shut down. I do know there was some kind of situation at the Burrough Hall station in Brooklyn. All trains that usually go to that station were being rerouted. Not that uncommon of a problem here in the city.

3:38 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

Joe, the word for taxi in Chinese is "chu zu che" (pronounced "chew zuh chuh"). For next time.

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know anything about transportation issues in NYC or Brooklyn, but I would recommend that you move your bank account to Citibank!

Uncle Stan

7:59 PM  
Blogger fritz said...

Joe,

I'm reminded of the MTA slogan--"If you see something, say something." Maybe they should adopt the slogan of the New York Lotto--"Hey, you never know!"

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home