Tuesday, December 12, 2006

unexpected

I've talked of Steve before. You might know him as the IRA LESTER HAYS wristband guy. I know him as an unexpected friend.

I met Steve during my time in Houston, Texas. In order to get a little "real life" experience before grad school, I went to work for a church in Houston. I went expecting to learn much about ministry. I went expecting to sit at the feet of wiser men and women of faith. I went expecting to learn more about which particular field of ministry I wanted to pursue. What I didn't expect and what I wasn't looking for was a new friend who would change my world.

It was evident the first time I met Steve that he and I were incredibly different. Steve liked country music, drove a pick-up truck, taught his Lab Retriever to hunt and generally spoke from the right of the aisle. I liked anything but country music, drove a Camry, taught my Lab Retriever to catch a frisbee and generally spoke from the left of the aisle.

I was engaged to Laura when Steve asked me to lunch. I went, again, not expecting much and wondering how we would make conversation. We got our Chick-fil-A sandwiches, sat down and Steve launched in.

This marriage thing you're about to do - You do know it's gonna be hard, don't you?
Umm, sure Steve.
No really, it's gonna be hard. The honeymoon will last for a while and then reality will set in.
Right, Steve.
I just want you to know that it's worth fighting for.
Okay, Steve.
I'm wondering if we can help each other fight for the good of our marriages?

And then it hit me - Steve was going to be in my life forever. Both Steve and I have made foolish decisions in our marriages. Both of us have pleaded with our wives for grace. Both of us have come out on the other side stronger and more committed than ever. All the while, both of us knew that we had each other; that we could count on each other; that we were praying for each other. Praying for the good of our marriages.

Steve and I have come to appreciate each other in new ways. We've both taken steps toward the center of the aisle. I now not only appreciate Willie but actually like his music. And if I lived somewhere other than Brooklyn, I'm pretty sure I would own a pick-up truck...but only if it were a Hybrid.

Nope, I wasn't expecting Steve during my time in Houston but I got him. And I'm glad I did.

-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home