Monday, April 09, 2007

grace

I attended a meeting of church leaders - specifically, people who are starting new churches - this evening. At some point during the evening we were asked to briefly share our church planting story. Where was I to begin?

We wanted to launch our church plant in January of '05. We found out about Ira's CDH in December of '04. Let's do the math together, shall we?

Crisis + Launching New Church = Not So Good.

To say the least, Ira's life overshadowed the starting of Christ's Church for Brooklyn. And in a way, CCfB has limped along ever since because of my intense focus on my family.

Part of my church planting story is how my supporting church, Manhattan Church of Christ, allowed me to spend time with my family and how those who joined CCfB did the same. There aren't many bosses out there, not many businesses or corporations out there, not many customers out there that would have been so understanding, so gracious.

I'm so thankful for Manhattan Church of Christ and for the family at CCfB. So very thankful that they are all so supportive of my family.

-

6 Comments:

Blogger Greeneyes said...

I think they are lucky to have you and your family as well !
G

12:10 AM  
Blogger JTB said...

I think about the character of this blog as analogous: first it was about the idea of church planting, and then about the preparatory steps being taken, and then, it was about Ira. So much so that I remember a post at some later point announcing that occasionally you intended to blog about something else...But what has happened is that now, the identity of the blog, like the identity of CCfB, is what it is because of Ira. It's not all about Ira; but it's part of what makes you who you are, and part of what makes you the pastor you are, and therefore part of what makes CCfB who we are. And that is a beautiful thing. If anyone needs proof of that, let 'em dig through my archives, or Casey's, for all our multiple posts on what CCfB means to us.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

I had the same thought as Jen. I have told many, many people about CCfB and the amazing and authentic direction it has taken because of the trials your family has had to overcome since its inception. I have been infinitely blessed by being a part of this.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I too brag about this unique community with a story and a fabric all our own on my blog and with my words in daily life. I have met no other church plant with a path similar to ours, but I think it speaks volumes about the quality of our congregation that almost everyone from the beginning remains 2.5 years later. We still have many ways in which to grow, but if the current congregation were not growing as individuals I believe they would have started to leave along the way. Instead, we grow in knowledge, support, ideas, and encouragement, if not in more quantitative or statistic-appropro ways.

12:11 AM  
Blogger The Siegel Family said...

My reading of this blog for about two years made us want to come and meet you during our visit to NYC in March. What a blessing that time was. We have told many people about our experience with you. Just continue to live your lives honestly before the Lord.
Larry and Teresa

9:29 AM  
Blogger Kester Smith... said...

i'd just like to say how good it is to know that joe and laura have such an encouraging group of folks in their lives. this is what the church is supposed to look like.

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home