Wednesday, May 09, 2007

alone

New York City is a city of millions of people. There is hardly ever a moment when one is not surrounded by hundreds or thousands of other people. Even in the inner most sanctuary of apartments one can feel the presence of others through conversations taking place on the sidewalks or the clanging feet of neighbors upstairs or the baby crying in the apartment next door. One is hardly ever alone.

However, I've come to know through conversations with others that loneliness is dolled out in plenty here in New York City. One guy said it clearly and sadly, "I'm not sure how in a city of millions I can feel so alone."

My heart aches for those who sleep next to loneliness. I'm saddened for those who eat breakfast with loneliness. I hurt with those who watch movies on Friday nights snuggled up on the couch with loneliness. This city, while wonderful in so many ways, devours those who are lonely with a single gulp.

This is yet another reason why I so deeply love God. It's cliche and it's trite when spoken at the wrong time but so true and at the heart of the gospel - We are not alone. Never. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of age. - Mt. 28:20

-

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenni said...

I wonder sometimes how to translate that knowledge that I am not alone into belief/feeling/comfort when I am feeling so very lonely?

3:16 PM  
Blogger Kester Smith... said...

it makes me think of the line in the billy joel song, "they're sharing a drink they call loneliness, but it's better than drinking alone."

we run into that seem thing here in austin, and it's why i am so committed to Immanuel's mission being so defined by its relationship to people. the church can't offer a complete cure for loneliness (if Jesus experienced loneliness, then we're all going to), but it can keep people from going through loneliness alone.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Joe,
I have a carepage full over viewers, I live in a big city full of people I know and I am pretty social. Yet, I still feel lonely. Sometimes, I don’t know how to get away from that feeling. My husband always brings me back, though.

It is strange….

12:14 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Good observation, Joe. Loneliness is most felt, and least obvious, in a crowded room.

'He who also was once alone - understands.' (pretty close to something Lucado wrote in No Wonder They Call Him the Savior)

12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home