Friday, April 20, 2007

A-Rod and Ira

A-Rod is not the only guy in NYC that's hot. So is Ira. Ira saw a whole host of doctors today and every one of them was impressed. The look of disbelief on their faces was due to the picture of a sedated, puny little baby that was embedded in their memories. Even for the doctors who saw him just five months ago, they were overwhelmed by Ira's progress.

It was good for Laura and me to hear the doctors say things like, "This is not the same Ira we saw even just five months ago!" or "I would never have guessed this was Ira's EKG/Echocardiogram results because of how good it all looks!" or "His heart and lungs sound great!" We showed off Ira's walking skills. Ira stacked blocks as if he's been doing it his entire life. He even vocalized a couple of times. I'm telling you, he blew them away. Ira's surgeon walked Ira around his corridor and introduced Ira to several people as Ira "I Do Not Know The Meaning Of Failure" Hays. I'm overwhelmed with gratitude this evening. Overwhelmed.

Tomorrow, if I can collect myself long enough, I will write a Happy Birthday, Ira blog and I'll ask you to leave your own wishes and hopes for him. In the meantime, I'm going to revel in these good feelings that are flooding over me as I type.

-

8 Comments:

Blogger kenny said...

I'm glad that you're able to verbalize so well how overwhelming this good news is... cause now I too am overwhelmed with joy at his awesome progress! Go IRA!

6:17 PM  
Blogger mad4books said...

Here's something amazing...I've never even laid eyes on Ira, but because of this blog (and occasional vlog and your Flickr account), I feel like I *know* him.

Today's news made a middle-aged librarian Ira has never met...one who lives 2,000 miles away...do a happy dance in her computer room.

Good job, Ira "Failure Is Not in My Vocabulary" Hays! Keep it up!

8:33 PM  
Blogger jason ripley said...

Praise God!

12:05 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Yay and Yay and Yay!!!! Ira, you have made me happy today.

12:58 AM  
Blogger julie said...

okay, I didn't mean to sound Irish...I meant to say my day.

12:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic! Ira "FINIM-V" Hays has an amazing source of strength and determination in you and Laura (and grandparents and aunts and uncles and...). Happy Birthday to ALL of you! Praise the Lord!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Jesse said...

Thank you God for the precious gift of Ira. Thank you for his progress. Bless Ira and his family, hold them close and let these feelings of happiness and relief flood their hearts and home!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Rick & Jen said...

Joe, Laura & Ira,

We met on Friday at the CDH clinic - I’m Richard’s father Rick. (O’Connor’s introduced us to your website.) First off Ira is beautiful! You must be so proud of your son and what he has accomplished in such a short period.

For a long time we felt that no one knew what we were going through, but re-reading your archives certainly brings back many emotions and amazing similarities. (ie receiving the diagnosis, meeting with Dr. Stolar, the tour & stay in the NICU. We even chose grandfather’s names for Richard since they too were strong men that had to overcome adversity in their lives).

We just read the update and are thrilled that Ira’s day at the clinic went so well. I’m sure we’ll be seeing you in another six months, but if you are ever on the NJ side of the river please let us know. Neither of us can cook but we know a few good take restaurants.

Take care,

Rick, Jen & Richard Loschiavo (jenniferl106@yahoo.com)

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home