Tuesday, April 17, 2007

our city girl

Several weeks ago Sophia spent the weekend with dear friends in Philadelphia. Our friends don't live in center city Philadelphia so it feels very different than Brooklyn. They took Sophia to a nearby park that has great hiking paths. Sophia's first question was, "Are we in Africa?" A little later she asked, "Do you think there is a diner nearby so that we can stop and get some ice cream?"

This past weekend Laura and Sophia spent time in St. Louis. Like our friends in Philadelphia, Laura's family doesn't live in center city so again, it feels very different than Brooklyn. At one point during their time in St. Louis, Sophia remarked, "There sure is a lot grass around here."

That's our city girl.

-

2 Comments:

Blogger Big Shoulders said...

My daughter, Gabriella, had the pleasure of meeting your daughter, Sophia, this weekend in St. Louis. Despite an age difference of about 18 months, the two "urban princesses" took to one another instantly, and much better than most Chicago-New York connections.

Thanks to Daniel Burnham, and some civic vision, we have an extensive park system in Chicago, and in fact, we live across the street from a piece of the "emerald necklace" that rings the city, so grass is not unusual to Ella, but sitting at the breakfast table and bird watching with her Aunt Marion certainly is.

Trips to St. Louis mean a lot of time riding in a car, which is very unusual for my little bus-, cab-, and El-rider. We heard, "I think we should be finished riding" a lot, this weekend. I also think she missed the familiar sounds of humanity that are often absent from suburbia and exurbia. What is that like for Sophia?

From Uptown to Brooklyn to Kirkwood, I am often amazed at the awareness and insight of children, especially, our city girls.

My wife has some pictures that she will try to pass along soon.

11:10 PM  
Blogger G&G Girl said...

The Africa comment is my favorite!

Last week I baby-sat for the kosher-micro-biotic-vegan-quasi-orthodox-jewish Upper East Side 5-year-old I've watched for a couple years. They'd moved to a new building and she was leading the way. She swept past the doorman saying "Where's Raul? Doesn't Raul open the door for me on Thursdays?" (Raul had called in sick). And I realized, ohmygosh I'm a nanny to Eloise at the Plaza.

Sophia is my new Elosie, part 2.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home