Thursday, April 26, 2007

shh, I'm sleeping

This past weekend was wonderful...and exhausting. That's why I haven't blogged this week. I do want to say thank you for all the sweet blessings you bestowed upon Ira in the last post. We are blessed to have you thinking of us and praying for us. Forgive me for not saying that until this moment. I'm just now catching my breath from the weekend's activities.

Seeing all the docs and hearing all the good news this past Friday was refreshing. We would have been bouncing off the walls but trips like that to the hospital are tiring. It's mentally and physically draining.

The party on Saturday was special. We were honored that so many would take time out of their schedule to pay tribute to Ira's life. As any of you who throw parties know, getting ready for and cleaning up after a party is demanding work. And because of Ira, cleaning up after a party means sweeping, mopping, scrubbing all surfaces with disinfectant spray, etc. Saturday night we collapsed.

And you don't have to be in ministry long to know that Sundays are both wonderful and dreadful. Wonderful in that teaching, preaching and pastoring are rare gifts in which others invite you into their worlds. Dreadful in that it takes so much mental and emotional exercise to do those elements well. Our Sunday started by walking in the MS WALK and ended with a Leadership Team meeting that night. It was a non-stop day.

It's Thursday and I'm just now catching up. Both Laura and I have moved slowly this week and been a bit more irritable than normal but in the grand scheme of things, this kind of exhaustion is good exhaustion. I would much rather be tired from hearing good news from doctors and celebrating my son's birthday than being tired because of continued trips to the hospital to see my son and listening in as docs talk about more invasive procedures to keep Ira alive. I would much rather be exhausted because of the many church functions taking place than exhausted because I'm not sure which direction the church should go. So yeah, I'll take this kind of exhaustion any day and today I'll choose to revel in it!

-

1 Comments:

Blogger julie said...

Joe, I love your spirit or should I say Spirit.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home