Wednesday, June 20, 2007

timing is everything

I love your ideas for roadtrip playlists. I'll post tomorrow what Laura and I think fits us and then you guys can help me work out what songs need to be included on those playlists. Cool, daddy?

----------------------

Every morning Laura and I go through the same routine with Ira. We disinfect the sink area and kitchen table. We wash him in the sink being careful to make sure water doesn't go down his trach, etc. We then take him over to our kitchen table where he's surrounded by medical equipment such as sterile gauze pads, sterile water, trach ties, etc. Once Ira is situated and his new diaper is put on, we go to work cleaning his neck, changing his trach tie and putting cream and new pads around his g-tube site. Every morning we do this.

Once about every two weeks, there is a minor crisis during this process and Laura and I immediately jump into crisis mode. Sophia does one of two things: She either acts out hoping to get our attention in the midst of the crisis with Ira or she immediately pops her thumb into her mouth and stares off into space. To say the least, these minor (I call them "minor" because they don't ultimately end up in us calling 911) crises are stressful. And because it happens in the morning, it has the potential to affect one's entire day.

Today we had a crisis episode with Ira. As I left the house for work Laura already looked whipped. My bike ride was slower this morning and as I got into the office and sat down I realized that my shoulders felt heavy. And then I checked an e-mail account that rarely gets personal e-mail. I found a note from a man who's done some work with my father out in west Texas. The man said he's been following our story via my dad and that he's been praying for us. He said he specifically has prayed for Laura and me - for courage and strength.

I'm not sure what it was about this e-mail but as I read it, I broke down. Here in this e-mail was yet another total stranger expressing hope for our family. I needed that today. His timing (the man's? God's?) was perfect.

-

3 Comments:

Blogger Mom said...

Your family is often in my prayers. Your strength and faith often amaze me. I know you must be very tired, and yet God continues to send you just enough strength and just enough hope to continue. Our God is amazing.
Love and peace,
Another stranger in Maryland who prays for you and you family.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Joe,
I understand what you are saying. You probally do not even know how many people check your blog daily and do not leave messages.

I am glad you felt better after the email.

Countdown to the trip!!!! I am excited for you guys!

Barb

10:43 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I pray that in the times you need it you recieve messages that remind of God's strength and love in your weaknesses.

love you guys
Sue

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home