Monday, May 28, 2007

date night

A while ago Sophia and I had a date night. We got all dressed up and went into Manhattan. We ate good food, saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway, had ice cream and chewed gum. Sophia can't stop talking about it. She was the perfect date: the conversation was riveting ("Dad, do I have to eat my broccoli at school tomorrow?"), Sophia looked wonderful and we thoroughly enjoyed the show. (Um, okay, Sophia was a bit scared of the Beast and spent quite a bit of the first act with her head buried in my chest but other than that, the show was great!)


I'm fully aware there will come a day that Sophia would rather be dead than be caught seen with me so I'm going to take full advantage of her willingness to go on date nights. Next up, a Yanks game. Hey, we Yankees are fans even in the midst of struggle!


-

6 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Yay for Sophia! I used to go on "fishing dates" with my Daddy when I was about Sophia's age. Very sweet memories! Last night we rented "Everyone's Hero" (animated baseball movie). I thought about your love for the Yankees and how I hope to someday take James on a "date" to watch the Yankees play.

9:10 AM  
Blogger H. Heflin said...

Sophia's blessed to have a dad like you. I've been trying to take each of my daughters on a date once a month but sometimes I forget and when it's been too long they remind me. I agree, these are precious days when they actually want to spend time with daddy.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

Of my early childhood memories, my dad picking me up from preschool to take me on a date is one of my favorites. I got in the car and there was a red rose on the seat and I asked if it was for mommy, and he said it was for me! Then we went to see Superman. Don't remember the flick, but I'll never forget that sweet gesture on my dad's part.

4:47 PM  
Blogger Greeneyes said...

what a wonderful Dad you are , it warms the heart ! I kid you not! , this date and any others like it will create warm and cherished memories for your daughter ,for you as well,,, but for her for the rest of her life she will remember this bond and special time for her and Daddy , so remember when she is a screamng teen , she loves you LOL
Have a great day
G

12:23 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Hey brother! Great post on the date night. After 3 boys (8, 5, and 2) God blessed us with a little girl last Thursday here in Atlanta. Would LOVE to reconnect with you and Laura. We keep up with you through Houston and your blog but I think a face to facer is probably in the works.

Love you dearly,
Rob and Traci Browne

P.S. Nobody balled like Tahoka Joe!

8:56 PM  
Blogger James E. Miller said...

Dates with daughters are wonderful.

I haven't had the opportunity to get all dressed up and go to fancy places with Laura yet (2 years old is a little young), but we go out just the two of us fairly regularly. Chuck-E-Cheese's is one of her favorites.

Oh, the differences between NYC and Knoxville: Broadway vs. Chuck-E-Cheese's...

Glad you got to enjoy a special evening!

8:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home