Wednesday, May 23, 2007

i just don't get it

Hot drinks on hot days. Okay, I'll admit that I don't even get hot drinks on cold days but it makes a bit more sense to me than hot drinks on hot days. When I see someone walking around in shorts and a t-shirt while holding a cup of coffee I wince. I just don't get it.

While we're talking drinks, I don't get drinks with no ice. Sorry my European friends, I just don't get why you like warm or barely cool water. Throw some cubes in there and let's get this party started!

Bette Midler? Seriously. Someone tell me how she made it big cause I just don't get it. Did anyone else see her pitiful performance on AI? What's up with the flapping of her arms? Yikes. I just don't get it.

Fancy dining. I really don't need four forks, three spoons and two knives. Really, I don't. I just need a fork, spoon and knife. Between courses, I'm fine with just licking my utensils clean. No need to waste time on the other 43 utensils you want so desperately for me to use. I get good food but I don't get the pomp surrounding the dining experience. I just don't get it.

Smoking. And I probably should be specific here: smoking cigarettes. Smoking makes the smoker smell bad, gives them funky breath and diseases the lungs. Who wants to walk around smelling bad with funk breath? I don't get it.

When people refer to golf as a sport, I just don't get it. Sure, it takes incredible hand-eye coordination and strength is now en-vogue for golfers but playing the Nintendo Wii also takes hand-eye coordination and strength is an asset when waving that goofy remote thing. Are you gonna argue that video gaming is a sport?

People who sleep late. Dude, the sun is up and the daylight hours are ticking away. There are things to do, people to see, places to go. Get up already!

Yankee haters. I don't get why the Yankees are hated so much. It's time to have a Come To Jesus moment, Yankee haters: You hate because jealousy lives deep within. Am I right? Sure I am. You will be a much more complete person without all that hate and vitriol. I don't get you, Yankee hater. But I am here for you when you want to make that confession of jealousy so that you can become a whole person.

Finally, I don't get judgmental people. People who make sweeping comments and broad generalizations about whole segments of others are just downright mean and nasty. I just don't get it. :)

-

11 Comments:

Blogger James E. Miller said...

To add to a couple of your thoughts, I really don't get why people smoke on the beach in the scorching hot sun.

"Man it's sweltering out here; I'm dripping with sweat. Maybe I'll take a dip in the pool or wade into the ocean and cool off. Nah, I think I'll just light up a Marlboro..."

Shudder.

I like most of my drinks with ice, but water is better without ice when I'm really thirsty. Plus, I think you have to pee more when you drink ice water.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A common African saying is "The medicine for heat is heat," which explains why hot tea or chai is ubiquitous.

Maybe sipping some boiling hot chai makes you forget the fact that it's hot out and you have no air conditioning...

11:54 PM  
Blogger Stacy said...

ok, Joe. The other day, when I made the broad sweeping comment "I hate women", I didn't mean it. Really. I didn't. I just hate the games some women play. I'm ambivalent about the Yankees. I like the smell of cigars. I don't get tepid water either - it's nasty. On hot days, I get a Frappuccino. Shoot - on cold days, sometimes I get a frappuccino. Carry on. :)

1:55 AM  
Blogger jch said...

gkb - I've come across this logic before. I got racked pretty good in jr. high. My coach immediately came over to me and slapped me on the back of my head. I asked, "What was that for?" He said, "I wanted to take your mind off the pain inflicted to your privates." Unfortunately, now I had a big 'ol knot on my head, a headache and my privates were hurting. While his slap on the head did provide a momentary forgetfulness of the pain inflicted upon me by a steroid using, mustachioed seventh grader it wasn't long lived.

And gkb, one more thing, when you are ready to come clean as to the hate that lives in your heart, I'm here for you. Jim, you too.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Dusty Rush said...

Wow Joe, I haven't heard the term "racked" in a long time!

What I don't get: why men with lots of back hair insist on wearing tank tops that reveal their hairy-ness. Doesn't anyone love them enough to tell them that's not a good look?

9:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joe - I think the answers to many of your questions are clear:

1. Hot Drinks on a hot day - believe it or not, it actually cools you off after you are finished drinking that hot cup of coffee, soup, etc. Give it a shot.

2. Golf - Unless you play regularly, I don't think anyone can appreciate just how much of a sport it is. The concentration, focus, and stamina it takes to perform at a high level for 4 hours is incredibly difficult. Think about it compared to baseball (and you know i'm a huge fan) - in baseball, it's all about hand-eye coordination as well and half the time the fielders are just hanging around in the field. I don't think you can say that golf is any less of a sport than baseball.

3. Yankee Haters? Where do I begin....But I'm too nice to kick a man (or a team) when it's down. I'll just enjoy the ride that the Mets (best record in baseball after the Red Sox - ouch) are on .

But at least we can agree on Bette Midler. That was bizarre.

-BC

10:22 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

A few things....

(1) Drinking really cold water is actually said to be bad for digestion. So there you go.

(2) Regarding Bette Midler...Oh no you didn't! The Divine Miss M is an institution. It's like saying you don't get the Celine phenomenon. We don't question it...it just is.

(3) Fancy dining just makes me nervous, and then I start dropping all the extra utensils on the floor. Maybe that's why there are so many of them.

(4) I think smoking is something that can only be understood by smokers. Having been there, I can say, there's just something about it.

(5) I relate Yankee haters to UT haters. How do you explain that?

11:22 AM  
Blogger Kester Smith... said...

Hot drinks for cold weather. Cold drinks for hot weather. This isn't complicated. This is why iced coffee drinks were invented.

Agreed on the ice as well. I have a co-worker who we call "Coke No Ice" because this is how he orders his drink in restaurants. It's our way of saying "you're insane".

If the only thing Bette Midler ever did was spoof herself on Seinfeld she'd be great.

Fancy dining is absurd. The only thing worse than multiple forks is the person who corrects you for using the wrong one.

You're forgetting that smoking looks cool. There's just no getting around it. I'm completely brainwashed, I know, but nevertheless, it looks cool. It is, without a doubt, the hippest form of suicide.

You're absolutely right about golf. Nothing that boring can be a sport. Speed chess is more exciting.

People who sleep late are the same who are up late. Because the night is always young and the city never sleeps. Except in the morning. Like all normal people should.

The Yankees represent the establishment. Nothing about them screams underdog, even when they have a bad season. They reek of having it handed to them. I don't even follow sports and I can smell it.

Judgmental people are awful. I can't think of anything worse than being someone who makes judgments about people.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Drinking hot coffee in the summer makes as much sense as eating ice cream in the winter.

Am I right??

12:56 AM  
Blogger Beaner said...

OK people - isn't the Coke, or whatever you drink, that comes out of the fountain at restaurants cold enough? Add ice & you get brain freeze. Plus, if you order ice, say at a fast-food joint in the drive-thru, then you're going to get a cup FULL of ice & barely no Coke. That is why it makes more sense to get as much Coke as you can in that cup! Signed, Coke-No-Ice-2.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Jana said...

i've just recently started ordering water-no-ice on the rare occasion we eat out. it's a lot easier to gulp down that way, thus getting more H2O into my system. plus i heard something on oprah once about some girl doing a science experiment and finding ice at certain restaurants tainted with e-coli. no thanks.

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home