Thursday, February 10, 2005

Just saw "Million Dollar Baby". No wonder the Academy nominated it for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Adapted Screenplay, Film Editing, etc: it is brilliant (and I don't use that word lightly or often). It raises those difficult questions like, what is life? And who or what determines when one is living or is not living? Is there ever an instance when we as humans get to decide that for someone else?

There are no easy answers to these questions. It just isn't black and white, yes or no, right or wrong. When the political right and political left, the theologically conservative and theologically liberal can stand and finally say, "this is difficult," I will listen but until then I will push aside their empty rhetoric and I will plead with God to give us some hints about what it means to live fully here on this earth.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

Amen.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

**Warning to readers** If you haven't seen the movie yet and don't want the ending given away, you shouldn't read this comment.

Joe, This is difficult! I agree that the movie is extremely well done and raises difficult questions in a powerful way. What bothered me was the way the movie became an apology for mercy killing in the answer it gave. I left the movie overwhelmed with sorrow at the way a Christian pastor was portrayed as spiritually bankrupt and offering no hope in the face of one of life's cruelest conundrums. I'm not saying I found that portrayal unbelievable, just deeply disturbing. I find your post somewhat forbiding in that I fear that what I say might be pushed aside as 'empty rhetoric'. Nevertheless, I think that in Jesus Christ God has given us more than 'some hints about what it means to live fully here on this earth.' Life fully lived here on this earth - what a great definition of Christ himself and what he offers each one of us no matter what our circumstances! From this perspective I think we could say that greater than the tragedy of Maggie Fitzgerald's paralysis was the fact that she didn't know Christ and, not knowing him, despaired of life altogether. [One can't help but think of Joni Eareckson Tada when contemplating the difference Christ might make to a quadriplegic. See here for more on her inspiring story.]
But Maggie's tragedy is compounded for the Christian viewer by the fact that her trainer, though regular in church attendance, didn't know Christ as 'life fully lived on this earth' either. How many followers of Christ would find the fading cheers of drunken fans more grievous a loss to Maggie Fitzgerald than never knowing Jesus Christ? Not many, I would hope, but that seems to be what the movie asks of us as it moves to its sickening denouement and we are told by the kind-hearted Scrap what a 'good man' the killer was.

5:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home