Monday, February 07, 2005

My wife. She's amazing. Let me tell you about her day on Sunday. She woke at 6 a.m. and left the house at 7 a.m. in order to get ready to lead the church in worship. She led both services in worship: 9 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. It was said about her leading that she was "filled with the Spirit". Her call to worship was from the book of Job:

"Then Job arose, tore his robe, shaved his head, and fell on the ground and worshipped."

Laura made the point that it was a weird place to go for a call to worship but in attempting to prepare herself for leading on Sunday she was having a hard time because she simply did not feel like worshipping. It was her reading of Job that inspired her: if Job can get up and worship after all the shit he dealt with then so could she. And so she did. And it was Spirit filled. Hallelujah.

But that's not the end of her day!

She then carted Sophia back home while I stayed at the church building and represented the church plant at the ministry fair our church was having. When she got home (around 1 PMish) she proceeded to make a meal for 20 people (the Brooklyn church plant launch team). But this wasn't just any meal because you have to satisfy both the pallets of the meat lover and the vegan. She made chili with meat and cornbread for those meat-lovers and cheese/broccoli/potato soup for those vegans in our group. It was a lot of work. When I got home at 3:30 PM she was still cooking. At 5 PM when people started arriving she was still cooking. The meal was fabulous and it was said of her cooking that "she has a gift".

But that's not the end of her day!

She was in charge of childcare that night while we discussed the book More Ready Than You Realize. She was stuck with two rambunctious toddlers for 45 minutes while we conversed. (Before you start casting judgments, I tried to flip responsibilities with her: I'll take the kids, you lead the discussion but that didn't go over well. Ugh, I'm such an incompetent idiot.)

Finally, she had to put up with the Super Bowl. She was exhausted, uncomfortable and ready to go to bed but she kept pluggin' along.

What can I say other than "thank you God for Laura"?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jana said...

What a sweet tribute to your wife. I don't think -- no, I KNOW I could not have managed a day like that (especially with a pregnant belly!) -- and stayed a nice person all day long.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I have been wanting to tell you that when I think of you, you remind me of Mary. When I read in the bulletin that little Ira might have developmental problems, I ask,"why God, there are such a great couple" then it dawn on me that God thinks very highly of you, that you are so special in His eyes and that He trusts you with His special purpose for you, Sofia, little Ira, Joe and everyone you as a family will touch. That's exactly how God felt about Mary. God saw you and Mary growing up, having no idea of the special task he had for you. But God was preparing you Laura and He is so close to you. You encouraged and inspired us Laura and I know God is also encouraged and inspired by your strength and faith. I also have a son who has developmental problems and seeing you reminds me that God also trusts me with his special purpose for me and my family.

Jackie

4:28 PM  
Blogger kenny said...

Amen, Jackie. Amen.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura is amazing, Joe! And that's not a new thing! She was that way when we were growing up, too. Your family is in our prayers daily.

R Fitz

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe, this is Leah Manley. Long time, no talk. I came across your blog as I was perusing the Manhattan Church website as I am known to do on occasion since moving back to the Hotlanta area. I am overwhelmed with the news of little Ira's predicament. With the emotions of grief sturring in me even as I am seperated by all these miles, I can't even begin to understand what it must be like for you and Laura. My heart goes out to you both. Just wanted you to know that more prayers have been added for you, Laura, Sophia and especially baby Ira. May God show you a miracle! And may He supply you with strength in abundance to face whatever lies ahead.
United in Christ - Leah
P.S. Man, Laura sounds like Wonder Woman! GO LAURA!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home