Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Let me tell you about the launch team. Every Sunday night at 5 PM a group of about 15-20 show up at our apartment to dream about the future of Christ's Church for Brooklyn. The group is made up of all kinds of professional people: teachers, moms, aspiring actors and dancers, students, health care professionals, firemen, toddlers, ex-military...the list goes on. And while these people feel called to these particular vocations they are excited (and nervous) to be called to this church plant where they are given the freedom to dream big; where they are asked to think outside the traditional box; where they are challenged to redefine familiar vocabulary; where they are pushed to go into unknown territory. They all seek something new and different. They desire something fresh and fluid.

We started meeting on January 9. We've been meeting for a little more than a month and already I feel as if these people are my family. They have accepted that the one leading them (me) is groping for God and have accepted their role in helping my family in the midst of this valley. They have not expected too much nor have they expected too little from us. Two Sundays ago they, as a group, asked Laura and me how they could help. We were quick to say that we needed help with babysitting arrangements during our hospital appointments. Nathan was quick to volunteer his day off this past Friday to watch Sophia for what turned out to be a six hour gig. Hillary is babysitting this Friday as we make yet another visit. I'm amazed at this group and how quickly they are coming together. I can't wait to see what God has in store for us as we continue the journey of this church plant.

--------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, have I mentioned that my family (mom/dad, my two sisters and their husbands) is treating Laura and me to a vacation in Mexico? We leave this coming Sunday. We are excited about getting away. I asked Laura what excited her most about the trip and she said that not having to be "on" every minute will be quite nice (Sophia is staying first with Laura's mom and then my sister). She asked me what I was looking forward to and I said "nothing". She looked at me confused and I explained that I'm looking forward to doing nothing. I can see us doing a bunch of nothing while there and I look forward to every minute of that. So yeah, we are excited...but we also feel guilty. Why? Because there are a ton of people out there who are suffering that aren't and won't get a reprieve from their suffering with a trip to the beach; because what if our excitement makes us forget about Ira's condition; because my own family members have experienced grief and pain and none of them were given a lavish trip; because we are so undeserving. I am extremely grateful for the loving generosity of my family to provide for us in this way (and can't wait for nothing) but you'll understand if I don't mention this trip again.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey guys! It was a great feeling to participate in your meeting Sunday evening...the topics happened to touch on a couple significant ones for me. I wish I could have stayed longer and gotten to remember the Lord through singing and His feast, and then hang and talk a bit more. I look forward to meeting with you guys again sometime soon.

Mexico...Well, you said it all. I hope it's all you and Laura need it to be, and of course, God knows it will be.

God bless!

java

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wrong Joe, you and Laura are soooo deserving! Have a wonderful time!!

Cara

12:03 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

I wish I could give some advice on how to deal with the guilt, but I'm the wrong girl to do that! I deal with guilt EVERY day. I completely identify with your comments, Joe. I don't think it's how God meant for us to live life -- I really believe it's Satan just messing with us somehow -- but I'm not sure how to handle it.

Just remember that even our all-powerful God gave himself a day of rest when he was creating the earth...I seriously doubt he NEEDED to rest...but he knew his children would need to...

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jana - I think you're right on with your comment about God resting.

Joe - Sabbath seems like a great way to frame your trip, which appears (like Sabbath) to be a scandalous gift of grace.

I enjoyed reading about the launch team and the Sunday evening gatherings.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home