Friday, August 05, 2005

Ira's sick. Not "lung collapse" kind of sick which is what all of us with CDH babies worry about but something's up. His day yesterday was horrible. He had two friends visit him, Derrick and Bethany, and he didn't put on a good show at all. He cried most of the day and the tears were tears of pain, hurt and exhaustion. The last two nights have been the same. We called the night nurse first thing this morning and she sounded wiped out. Something is going around. They did a culture on his eye and it came back positive and the culture around his Broviac line came back positive, too. They put an IV in last night and are pumping him with antibiotics.

The baby across from us is the oldest in the NICU at six months. She was due to go home but got sick and her lung collapsed. She is re-intubated and on Nitric Oxide. Ugh. It's not a pretty scene around the NICU right now...but is it ever?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for Ira to feel better soon.

Regina

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was thinking of you all as I got ready this morning, wondering how he was doing and if a cause for his pain had ever been identified. Didn't Ira have an MRI after The Meeting to that end?
I know that it takes a couple of weeks (in this area, anyway) to get those results, and even so, you are under no obligation to share them...I just was hoping you all might be able to find a cause (and hopefully that is is just gas!)

I am so sorry for this current infection and set back, and I am so sorry for the 6 month old baby and her parents.

I pray strength for all of you today and for healing...for protection against germs and for bodies to respond to the Rx. I pray also that Ira will be able to be made comfortable as the healing begins! I also pray that God will give each of you at least one thing to smile about today. Amen.

Thinking and praying for you,
Beverly McCallon
Abilene, Texas

11:14 AM  
Blogger Katie said...

I'm so sorry, Joe and Laura. How deeply frustrating (can't think of a more intense word for "frustrating") to be parenting with all your strength and not be able to help your boy. I'm so sorry. Hang on.

peace -- Katie

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe and Laura,
I have just found your blog. It was a link from my son and daughter-in-law's blog. They are Brett and Jenny Perkins. I believe Laura knew Brett at least from ACU. I spent all day yesterday and most of this morning reading your entries from Nov. 04 til the present. I shed tears a few times and prayed many times. I feel so bad for you and little Ira. Please know you have 2 new prayer warriors lifting Ira up to the Father daily. My husband and I will be praying for his health to be whole before too long. God bless you all!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home