Sunday, October 30, 2005

My Media

I'm finally getting around to changing my sidebar a bit. I was going to update my books and movies every couple of weeks but found myself floundering a bit. So I thought I would let you in on my favorite actors and records.

John Cusack is great in anything he's in. The movie might suck but becuase of Cusack's presence the movie is somewhat salvaged. My favorite Cusack, by far, is High Fidelity. Denzel can't do wrong. I wasn't a fan of Man on Fire but he was spectacular as usual. My favorite Denzel performance was as Macolm X in Malcolm X. Tom Hanks. Need I say more? Favorite Hanks film is Saving Private Ryan. And Jodie Foster does smart stuff and I like smart stuff. I thought Contact was genius.

The records I chose for my sidebar are ones I've had for a long, long time. I listened to them then and I still listen to them. They haven't gotten old. They have staying power. Do It Acapella is a compilation of artists singing acapella. Spike Lee put the show together. The sound is sweet and the harmony tight. Johnny Cash's American IV: A Man Comes Around is prophetic, strong and bold. Not Fade Away: remembering Buddy Holly is fun and well done. And Billy Joel's Greatest Hits Vol. 1-2 is, well, great. Not one of those songs ever gets old.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brandynn said...

Contact is definitely genius. We watch it every now and then just to be reminded of how phenomenal it is. My husband was astounded at the end when it says, "For Carl", to realize that it referred to Carl Sagan. After growing up hearing for years how Carl Sagan was an "unbeliever", "atheist", all those lovely terms. I don't know much about Sagan's philosophy, but to effect such a deep film about what faith really is shows he was indeed a thinker. Excellent, excellent film.

10:26 PM  
Blogger The Root said...

I enjoyed Contact immensely. Great film full of great performances.
But, High Fidelity... perfection. Cinematic perfection. One of my favorite movies of all time and such a brilliant insight into the American male psyche especially since they had to move the setting of the story from the UK to Chicago. And Jack Black friggin rules as well.
Best Tom Hanks movie: okay, I'm sorry, but my favorite is You've Got Mail. I adore that movie. Can't help it.
"Don't you love New York in the fall? Makes me want to buy school supplies."
The runner-up would be Big.
And Denzel ruled in Training Day, making the "dirty cop" archetype into a fully realized, three-dimensional character.

7:20 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

NELL, by far her best.

Looking forward to second oscar-winning short film! Do you have a name for it?

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home