Wednesday, November 02, 2005

What Language Shall I Borrow?

Ira is being dedicated at Christ's Church for Brooklyn this Sunday evening. I usually lead the service there but have handed this particular service over to a couple of others. After all, it would be kinda weird presiding over my own son's dedication.

I take baby dedication events seriously. In dedicating Jasper, the first baby born into Christ's Church for Brooklyn, we took the entire service to think about and meditate upon what it means for life to be brought into this world and specifically into the world of our faith community. Every element of our worship was centered around the event of Jasper's dedication. With this first dedication service, I hope that I have instituted a tradition for Christ's Church for Brooklyn. One that takes seriously the words of Jesus, "for the kingdom of God belongs to them."

It would seem natural for Ira's dedication to be filled with pure joy and elation and talk of blessings. It would seem natural for this to be a time of celebration and thanksgiving. It would seem natural for there to be dancing; unabashed, shameless dancing! After all, there were many moments when we didn't think Ira would make it. The cards were stacked against him. The prognosis wasn't good. The talks with doctors early on were not positive in outlook. Ira is a miracle! Let's get this party started!

However, that's not the tone Laura and I desire. Laura and I will talk endlessly and proudly about how far Ira has come and about how relieved we are that he is with us. We will recount for you with huge smiles and tears of joy about the day he came home. But we do so choosing our words carefully.

Laura and I still have images of babies who did not make it out of the NICU. Conversations with parents who lost their babies are still fresh on our minds. The desperate look on parents faces when they visit their baby for the first time in the NICU are etched in our memories. And so Laura and I proceed carefully and gently and humbly when we talk of Ira's journey still searching for a language that will please God.

I look forward to Sunday evening because I completely trust those that will lead us. I expressed Laura's and my desire to remember those infants who did not make it out of the NICU and remember those who are still in the NICU. This will be a time of thanksgiving but also a time of remembrance. After all, the kingdom belongs to Ira and Diana and Lily and Ava and Alix and Hime and Sebastian and Luke and Noah and ...

5 Comments:

Blogger erinlo said...

I LOVE reading your thoughts, Joe. Several weeks ago, you posted about you and Laura sharing communion with Sophia. It inspired my husband and I to do the same with our children. And now, the importance you place on baby dedications. It makes me wish we lived in Brooklyn and could take part.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

thank you for your words. our preparation to go to Africa--and the knowledge of the comprehensive suffering facing the vast majority of people there (including the faithful)--makes any report of God's work in a specific situation hard to grasp (especially when it is an American speaking of God providing a parking space, because of God's favor. Let me borrow your word: ugh.).

Anyways, your post reminds me that it is possible to praise God without pretending that we understand him, to be concurrently thankful and empathetic. thank you.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Serena Voss said...

I will join your celebration from Texas. God bless!

11:35 AM  
Blogger J-Wild said...

This post really touched me, thank you for sharing and for the patience you have for others that don't have your perspective.

10:23 PM  
Blogger sirEller said...

May you and your family be blessed by this evenings dedication. That is a hard thought to take, and not sure if you've said it or not, but that being our children belong to the Lord. And what you are participating in tonight, and every day, is the symbolism that I am being a good steward with his gift. Although, this has to be one of the greatest gifts I've been given.

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home