Thursday, January 26, 2006

Addiction

I'm in the computer room of the PICU. The doctors are putting in yet another art line. I used this small procedure as an excuse to get out of the room. The truth is that I have no problem seeing Ira get stuck. I've seen it so many times that I'm hardly phased by it anymore and the sight of Ira's blood has no affect on me any longer either. What I do have a problem seeing - and the reason I needed to get out of the room- is Ira shaking uncontrollably.

You see, Ira's addicted to his meds. Especially his sedation medication. And so as they have tried to wean Ira off this medication its become evident that he is addicted to it much like a drug addict is addicted to heroin. Think I'm overstating the case? Ira's on the same drug therapy - methadone - that heroin addicts are put on as they attempt to detox.

The docs tried to wean Ira too quickly and minutes ago they went back on the sedation med. In other words, Ira's getting his fix.

This son of ours has seen too much, experienced too much and felt too much in his first nine months of life.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jennie Wells Hughes said...

. . . And I'm wondering how much one father can endure. No words.

9:48 PM  
Blogger Richie said...

My grossly inadequate expression of care and concern -- just that you're in my prayers.

11:13 PM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe, you are right...Ira has been through too much but we are praying that he keeps fighting and that you find a place of peace. Continuing to pray for you and your family. Sometimes life sucks.

12:54 AM  
Blogger Finally an Abrigg..... said...

i agree with my brothers and sisters. words are useless at this point. sucks.
We need a miracle. Now. Come Lord Come.

9:37 AM  
Blogger leslie said...

I don't know ya'll at all, but I have been following your story for quite awhile. I live in Abilene and attend church at Highland. Please know that MANY people are lifting your family up in prayer daily. I have a daughter that is Sophia's age, and I pray for her as much as I pray for Ira.
I have been touched by your strength and faith through all of this. Thank you for always taking the time to write about it.
Praying fervently.....

9:52 AM  
Blogger Menjiness said...

Oh my. We pray for Ira every day out here in Southern CA. Ira was brought to my attention by Cowtown Stacy. You have such faith and you and your wife are such wonderful people.

Words can not express my heartfelt love for you and your family. God will get you through.

I have a saying that I like, it is Stop telling God how big your storm is, tell your storm how big your God is. That gets me through so much. Hopefully you can use it and it brings you some words of comfort.

God Bless, we are rooting for Ira :)

Desiree in CA :)

10:50 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I literally shook as I read your words. But as soon as I was finished reading, I felt this strong urge to tell you that it will be o.k. I don't know this, I don't know you, or Ira. I'm not a physician. But I do know that I am pulling for you and felt this urge to say "it will be o.k.".
xoxoxo

8:01 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

i hear you....

1:27 AM  
Blogger kmm0305 said...

We have been following Ira's story since we have a 6 month daughter with a R-CDH and also a daughter Sophia's age. He is in our thoughts and prayers. We know how hard going through an "addiction" can be, we saw our little one go through that as well. Peace to your family and may Ira heal and grow stronger every day.

Kristyn

6:25 PM  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

As I read your words Psalms 62:5-6 came to my mind: "For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken."

I pray that while little Ira's body may be shaken, that your faith in the God who made him will stand firm.

Our prayers continue unabated upon your behalf.

Grace and Peace,

Brad Stevens
St. Louis, MO

10:56 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

No word since Thursday.

Talk to us, Joe...

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home