Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Cell Phones and Confessions

On Sunday evening during our church service my phone rang. It was Ira's surgeon. Ira's chest x-ray showed that air was accumulating and that his left lung was completely deflated...again. He needed a new and bigger chest tube. After a grueling hour we got a call back saying the chest tube did it's job and Ira was doing better.

On Monday morning during our church staff meeting my phone rang. It was Laura. Ira was unstable and the medical team was working hard. They were trying everything. I packed up and headed for the hospital. By the time I got there, Ira was stable.

I'm starting to hate the ring of my cell phone.
------------------------------------
According to Technorati the third most visited blog is PostSecret. Heard of it? Frank Warren distributed 3,000 self-addressed postcards throughout D.C. asking people to send back their confessions or secrets. Three thousand wasn't near enough. Now Warren receives around 400 postcards a week from all over the world.

The confessions are amazing. Some are silly and fun to read ("libraries make me have to poop") while some are dreadful and scary ("everyone who knew me before 9/11 believes I'm dead"). Below is the link to the site but be forewarned, some of the material is rated R. It's not for the faint of heart.

PostSecret

The questions I have are, "Is this good or bad? Helpful or harmful? Perpetuating lies or setting truth free? Alleviating guilt or prolonging it? ..."

4 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

We're afraid revelation will result in rejection. So revealing to an unknown can't really hurt us. It's a safe place.

12:45 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

In all art there is an element of freedom. Ideas can be expressed, secrets can be told, silenced voices are often heard in this means of expression. And I believe that every person who should have a place to express such life altering facts, like libraries making them have to poop.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Chris Ewing said...

Ira calling you and Laura to tell you he made the Dean's list with a 4.0. Now that's a good cell phone call. Prayers of strength and healing for your family in this most delicate of times.


Praying for better cell phone calls,
Chris

6:16 PM  
Blogger JTB said...

Libraries make me have to poop, too. I've never understood it. I still don't, but now I feel so much less alone...

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home