Monday, January 09, 2006

in threes

Ira had a good weekend. He stayed pretty stable. We were able to finally pinpoint why Ira's white blood cell count was so high: he has pneumonia and is now being treated with antibiotics. (If you are keeping score at home, that's a RSV, collapsed lung and pneumonia that Ira's got going on.) The oxygen on the vent is at 45%. So all in all he had a good weekend.

Sunday night was not go great. He started to de-sat at 3:45 a.m. on Monday morning. My mom was with Ira and it the was the first time she ever experienced Ira getting bagged. They had to do it twice. They then took an x-ray and the x-ray shows the possibility of a re-herniation. Yep, that's right. It's possible, not confirmed yet, but possible that Ira has re-herniated yet again. We are waiting for the surgical team to take a look at the x-ray as they know Ira's insides better than anyone. This could potentially be a huge setback. We'll keep you informed.

I'm at the hospital this morning hoping to hear from the doctors what we might do next. Ira's too unstable for a CAT scan so it's unclear what will be done.
------------------------------
I've had the same dream over the last three nights. In my dream I'm in Ira's hospital room. He immediately wakes up from his sedation. I cry at seeing his huge blue eyes while the medical staff is nervous that his being awake will thrown him into arrest. It doesn't. Instead, Ira starts smiling and kicking wildly. I immediately pick him up. It's at that point that Laura comes into the dream. She too is in the room and I hand over Ira to her. We are more than ecstatic.

Today marks the 17th day that Ira's been sedated.
Today marks the 17th day that we have not held him.
Today marks the 17th day that we have not seen those huge blue eyes of his.
--------------------------
It's interesting that my three nights of dreams coincide with Sophia's three nights of acting out her feelings about this trauma in our lives.

Sophia's always been an incredible sleeper. She's always slept soundly without any problems. Three nights ago she woke up in the middle of the night crying out for Laura. Even after Laura went in to comfort Sophia, Sophia cried for another two hours. In the midst of conversing with Laura she said things like, "I don't want to be a big girl," and "I don't want to be too far away from you, mommy," and out of nowhere and without any prompting, "I love Ira."

This has happened over the last three nights. She is really sensing this trauma. Please pray for her.

5 Comments:

Blogger JKMeeks said...

I have had you in my prayers for 17 days and will continue to do so. I praise God that yall found out about the pnuemonia and are treating it. I guess it is worth praising for even small things.You are all in my thoughts all the time.

11:32 AM  
Blogger julie said...

Joe, thank you for updating us. I was on the computer this last half hour and kept checking to see if there was any news about Ira. He has been on my heart. I will continue to pray. I will also pray of Sophia. So sorry. Keep dreaming.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

Relieved to hear from you, Joe. These days of waiting have been anxious ones.

May God hear the words we are unable to express...

12:40 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I too, check on you all several times a day about Ira. I am praying that he has not reherniated. I have and will continue to pray for you guys. May God send you an extra ounce of courage and energy today.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Prayers for Sophia.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home