Thursday, January 05, 2006

the wristband

Was I the only one who thought Pete Carroll, the head coach of the USC Trojans, was wearing an Ira Lester Hays wristband? Anyone?

Apparently not. A friend from high school wrote and said, "I am watching the Rose Bowl and just noticed a green bracelet on Pete Carroll's wrist."

I don't think I'm so narrow-minded or focused to think it's "all about me" but that wristband is a very specific green and it's hard to miss. Anyway...
----------------------------------------------------------------
Ira had a good 24 hours from Tuesday evening to Wednesday evening. We all were feeling pretty good on Wednesday. Wednesday night, however, was pretty hard. They had to work to keep him stable. Laura's mom stayed the night so I'm sure didn't get any sleep.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday Laura and I celebrated our 8th anniversary. (Thank you, Laura, for the sweet post you wrote.) That day wasn't the most romantic day in our married life. I woke to an empty bed only to remember that Laura was at the hospital with our son. I called her first thing that morning and wished her a Happy Anniversary.

There was a different feeling as I uttered those words than when I have in the past. The subtext of that phrase this year was "I'm so very thankful not to be experiencing this hell alone. I'm glad you are by my side." A deeper exploration of that subtext then reveals that we, as a couple, couldn't have made it through 2005 without the truth of God With Us. Thanks, Laura, for eight years of togetherness.

10 Comments:

Blogger happytheman said...

You guys are my heroes. Your marriage, your commitment to each other and especially your life with Ira that we have been so blessed to share. Thank you for your daily reminders of God's grace. I pray for his strength for you daily. Hopeful to worship with you in February.

I saw those green bracelets all over yesterday at the Rose Bowl. But I never asked to look at one, though I thought it was cool because it reminded me of this young child that will have so many stories to tell as he gets older. Peace to you all.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Casey. said...

I actually thought the same thing. Wouldn't that be great if Ira was at the Rose Bowl! Many Blessings to you and your family. And oh yeah...Hook 'em Horns!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Jana said...

Me too, me too! I saw the green wristband too and started wondering...

10:16 AM  
Blogger Vicki said...

I wept openly for you both when I first read Laura's post to you just minutes after she posted. It somehow seemed a violation to post a response, no matter how much I wanted to remind you both that we are still in that gap of hope for Ira with you.

11:33 AM  
Blogger christine pinson said...

We saw it too! I pointed it out to my husband and was sure that was what it was...I am glad I wasn't alone...we still pray daily, and wear our own green bands daily in honor of that little fighter...

12:17 PM  
Blogger KentF said...

Daily prayers for Ira because Ira is THE MAN. Yes, Yes, Yes - the buzz around our office was not Vince Young - it was the green wristband on Pete's wrist!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Is there a way you can find out if it was an Ira bracelet?
May peace be with you.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Perks said...

saw the bracelet, thought of sweet ira.

did i mention i don't like college football anymore? ARGH!

gig'em.
dmp

2:32 PM  
Blogger shell said...

I know it's been forever since we saw each other in Ft. Worth, but wanted you guys to know that we read your blog and love being able to keep up with y'all from so far away (I love technology). Know that you and Ira are in our prayers!
Love,
David & Shelley Park
PS. Happy Anniversary!!!

3:05 PM  
Blogger Vicki said...

No word since Thursday. Amxious for an update.

Still hoping and praying...

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home